Aspire 7540 no winodws 10 support

Options
ronin4
ronin4 Member Posts: 7 New User

I upgraded to Windows 10 and everything worked fine, but in the last 2 weeks I havent been able to get my TV screen to work when connected to the laptop with HDMI cable. A hunt around Google has led me to believe its the 4200 Graphics card thats the issue, because its not supported on Windows 10.

I went to roll back to Windows 7, but as 10 was on my pc for more than 30 days that isnt an option that I can find.

Is there a work around for this HDMI issue, or a way to rollback to windows 7 when I never had a disc etc in the first place?

Best Answer

• ronin4
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi just to say nothing has worked, so Im chasing samsung to see what they suggest.

Just wanted to say I very much appreciated the time and advice you have given me, thankyou, all the best Smiley Happy

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

If Go Back isn't available, here's what Microsoft says.....

Go to Settings > Update & security > Recovery > Reset this PC > Get started and look for Restore factory settings.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gobacknot.PNG

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And you always have the option to order your factory default recovery media from Acer Store.

http://store.acer.com/store/aceramer/html/pbPage.globalStoreSelector/ThemeID.35703000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think the methods in the link below will work, but you can try as a last resort.  Make sure you try the Microsoft method first before attempting below link.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29934/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDU2MzIyMzI4L3NpZC9VRjc3VVRKbQ%3D%3D

Edit: If you are successful getting back to Windows 7, you should probably create your factory default recovery discs at that time.  Latest BIOS for your model is here.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JordanB
    Options

Or try to uninstall your current graphics driver from Device Manager and see if Microsoft Windows 10 will give you a better/newer driver (automatically).

driverun.PNG

• ronin4
    Options

This is great, thankyou so much, I spent hours and hours trying to get the HDMI link to work again and couldnt figure out what it was (spent most of the time changing HDMI cables and waggling Smiley Very Happy )

The last thing I did was check if I could roll back and I thought the way it was written, that if it was over 30 days I had no hope, sorry a calmer header would of helped me Smiley Happy

thankyou again Im going to give that a go.

If you dont mind could I just ask one other question?

I saw a few suggestions about the graphics card driver, people saying uninstall and reinstall, but I wasnt sure what would happen, my PC has an onboard graphics card on the i7 processor as well as a dedicated graphics card, does the processor on my laptop have a graphics card too? its an Amd Dual Core 2.00GHz.

I thought that if I uninstalled the driver I might be looking at a blank screen on my laptop, but obviously not.

Thankyou again, saved me having to buy something new hopefully Smiley Happy

• JordanB
    Options

ronin4,

99 percent of the time you won't get a blank screen.  But if for some reason you did, I will help you get your screen back.....since I gave you the advice.  Smiley Wink

Before your uninstall, you can try to "Update" to see if that gives you a newer driver.  

updategdrv.PNG

• JordanB
    Options

You should also backup your important personal files.

Edit:

• JordanB
    Options

Edited previous post.

• JordanB
    Options

Honestly, since you don't have any recovery discs, it would be safer if you just went back to Windows 7 first and create your recovery discs.   After you have your factory default recovery discs, then you can go back to Windows 10 and play around with drivers.

• ronin4
    Options

Thankyou again, I tried uninstalling the driver and the screen kind of reduced in size/ratio I ran ccleaner and then did a restart but its just installed the same drivers and the HDMI issue hasnt changed Smiley Sad

Ive always had a problem making the recovery disks in the past, cant remember what it was but I think it was the type of disc I was using. Will try and reformat tomorrow and take it from there.

Im very grateful for all your help thankyou again Smiley Happy

• ronin4
    Options

Hi Ive tried to rollback to Windows 7 by going into Windows 10 Securities and updates, Recovery then Reset PC it did a complete reinstall of Windows 10 Smiley Sad

I tried the activation code on the back of my laptop but I got the Oxc4f050 error.

I tried your link for the ACer Store but I couldnt find any mention of software stuff at all on the UK store Smiley Sad

Acer REcovery Manager is no longer on my laptop, Im assuming Windows 10 deleted it.

sorry about this.

• JordanB
    Options

You were supposed to look for "Restore Factory Settings".  See instructions above.  It sounds like you chose the wrong selection.

So you can either call Acer to order to your original Windows 7 software or you can clean install Windows 10 or just continue with what you have.  That's up to you.

• ronin4
    Options

Hi there wasnt any Reset factory options to select, but what I tried was ALt + f10 when the Acer image appeared after switching on and its gone into a few screens that have led to me getting a Factory Reset to Windows 7 Smiley Very Happy

Problem is Ive got the identical issue, I was having with Windows 10.

Ive got my TV connected to my laptop with HDMI and it all worked fine on both 7 and 10 for months, then last week it started not working.

The laptop shows the Samsung as the 2nd monitor and the TV detects that there is something in the HDMI socket ( as its highlighted ) yet as the laptop starts up the tv changes from showing the laptop screen to saying their is No Source.

While the laptop image is on the TV screen it shows the same image but with a blue background, instead of the black background and there are black lines across the tv screen, then it cuts out and says no source.

Ive checked resolutions etc and now Ive even changed software back to 7 and its the same issue.

http://vid271.photobucket.com/albums/jj153/roninxena/VID_20160227_130640919_zpsgabamv7n.mp4

this is a link to a video of whats happening on my screen, does the blue screen on the TV signify anything?

• JordanB
    Options

I guess you could try a different cable and try a different monitor to try and isolate the issue further.

• ronin4
    Options

Yes thanks Ive tried all that.

Before rolling back to Win 7 I tried a different cable

a different HDMI port on TV

a different TV

a cuddly toy  Smiley Happy

Disable and enable 2nd montior in Device Settings.

Unplugging everything and then powering one up before the other.

So even with a complete reset the issue remains, but my TV works fine with my PC and my laptop works fine my pc's monitor. Totally bamboozalled by this Smiley Sad

• JordanB
    Options

Try going in to the BIOS settings and loading the defaults (it should be F9) and then save/exit (it should be F10).

• ronin4
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi just to say nothing has worked, so Im chasing samsung to see what they suggest.

Just wanted to say I very much appreciated the time and advice you have given me, thankyou, all the best Smiley Happy