Aspire 7520 Power & Computer on lights both flashing

kent2
kent2 Member Posts: 3 New User

Acer Aspire 7520, usually will not charge.

If I use the battery, with no mains supply, then it works correctly. I can boot into either the Windows Vista or the Ubuntu operating system installed on the computer.

When I connect the mains supply, the Power Supply flashes orange, and the Computer On light flashes green, both synchronised and continually flashing at about one flash per second. The battery is not charging. (The battery monitor shows a steadily diminishing charge, and the Power Supply remains cold.)

If I unplug the power supply, then the Computer On light is continuous green, and the computer works ok.

If I re-connect the power supply, then both lights flash again.

The battery is showing over 50% charged,

The open-circuit output of the Power Supply, measured on a digital voltmeter, is the expected 19.4 to 19.6 volts.

Sometimes it all works correctly, the lights do not flash, and I can continue as normal, Most times it fails.

I have removed the battery and held the On button down for 20 seconds, several times, to no avail.

The Power Supply seems to be working correctly, the battery seems to be partially charged.

Why are both the Power Supply and the Computer On lights flashing?

Best Answer

• kent2
    Answer ✓

For anyone else with the same symptoms - a new power supply cured the problem.

After buying and fitting a new battery, with no effect on the problem, I tried a friend's Acer power supply, and that worked, so I bought a new power supply, and that works too.  I assume the old power supply could provide 19Volts, but only at "Open circuit", when it is not actually supplying any current.

The old Power Supply was an "el-cheapo", and only lasted a year.

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer

Hello,

Sometimes it all works correctly, the lights do not flash, and I can continue as normal, Most times it fails.

Did you straighten lightly the contact springs of the DC-IN socket (laptop side)?

France
  • kent2

Hi Kudos.

Thanks for your help.

I haven't looked at the fingers in the laptop socket yet, as I have some important work over the next week that will need the computer.  I therefore do not want to turn off or disconnect the power supply over that period.  It is currently working ok.

It is not a lack of power that causes the problem.  If I switch off the poweer supply, then the computer will continue working on its battery, , and the "Computer on" light is solid green. However, as soon as I switch the mains supply back on, the lights both start flashing.  The "Computer on" light flashes green, and the "Power" light flashes orange.  The battery indicator shows that it is near-enough 100% charged.  A check on the power supply output with a digital voltmeter shows 19,5 Volts.

Next week I shall try removing the battery, and running on just the mains power supply.

• kent2
    Answer ✓

For anyone else with the same symptoms - a new power supply cured the problem.

After buying and fitting a new battery, with no effect on the problem, I tried a friend's Acer power supply, and that worked, so I bought a new power supply, and that works too.  I assume the old power supply could provide 19Volts, but only at "Open circuit", when it is not actually supplying any current.

The old Power Supply was an "el-cheapo", and only lasted a year.