Aspire 6930G wifi enabled... but no internet?!

Options
Joolzthomas
Joolzthomas Member Posts: 2 New User

Rather than cleaning our Aunt's laptop (full of junk) handed down to our son for BIG school, I did an alt+F10 Restore to Factory settings and started again. Windows Vista and Acer had to do its thing while it reset...

I have connected to the router and I have wifi confirmed as connected... Windows updated and the homepage (Www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/home) even has the new Acer 'Switch' advertised and the dragon (some new game).... But the top isn't loaded right, it has 'errors on page' and other websites don't load at all.  

TCP and DNS are ticked for 'automatic' too - spotted this on online forums so checked that.

Any ideas how there's wifi but without a working Internet connection?!

help much appreciated!

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

I'm guessing the Internet Explorer included with Vista is down revved enough that many web site won't work right with it. I did a from scratch install of Windows 7 (prior to sp1) on a customers laptop this weekend and found that the IE 8 included wouldn't work right on a lot of common sites. I upgraded it to IE 11 and all was right with the world again. [Well after several hundred updates that is.] Smiley Happy

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Joolzthomas
    Joolzthomas Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Windows updated (run from within IE) this evening.

If this IS the problem, how do I upgrade IE (I'd rather Chrome!!) without an Internet connection?