Aspire 5920G and Windows 8.1 Card Reader and WIFI network adapter conflict

ScottyG
ScottyG Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Recently I upgreaded my Aspire 5920G to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 which was all working fine. As soon as I did this the network card would no longer start. I searched information on Inte'l's site and discovered that they are not supporting the particular network adapter for Windows 8.1 nor does it appear does ACER or Microsoft. Pity that Microsoft doesn't give any warning of this issue ahead of you upgrading even if you use their compatibility wizard prior to upgrading.

Once it happened I frantically turned to Dr Google to find a solution and the best I could come up with was some forum about their being a confilict with the Richo Card Reader driver and that if you updated the driver of this and then reinstalled the network adapter then it would all work. I keenly followed this plan but to no avail. However if I disable the card-reader then my network adapter works. So this seems obvious to me that there is a conflict between the two drivers.

Is there a way of solving the conflict - I'm not a computer genius but can follow step by step instructions!

Answers

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon

I do apologize but there is no work around that I am aware of beyond what you have found. We only support Windows Vista and 7 on this product and as you have found out it looks like the outdated hardware is not supported by Windows 8.1. I understand this is frustrating, however this is a compatibility issue that we cannot resolve if the operating system does not support the hardware configuration.

• SimonB
    SimonB Member Posts: 1 New User

Try to install the Acer Launch Manager that is provided for Windows 7 on the Acer support page for aspire 5920G within the tab 'application', for me this worked out also with Windows 8.1

I had the same problem and figured out that the wifi switch of the notebook wasn't working, so I couldn't turn on the wifi card. With the Launch Manager installed the wifi switch and also the other function keys work perfectly.