Aspire 5755G keyboard not working

Options
Sylvanmoonscape
Sylvanmoonscape Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

My keyboard has started being erratic and not responding when some keys are pressed. I use the notebook mostly as a docking station, with a larger monitor and separate keyboard, so it's not an issue of the keys being misused or over-used. It's not related (as far as I can determine) to caps lock or any interference with USBs. It happens when I'm booting up as well as when I'm typing in a document and with nothing attached to the computer other than the power cable. Any ideas what might be happening or how I can fix it?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,618 Trailblazer
    Options

The KB ribbon cable connector at the MB may need to be re-seated a few times to clean & secure the contacts. To access it you must lift the KB usually by depressing a half-dozen or so plastic catches with a small wedge near the top edges and sides of the keyboad. Sometimes the catches break off but it's nothing a bit of scotch or electricians tape can't handle.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sylvanmoonscape
    Sylvanmoonscape Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks for this JackE. I'll  have my husband give it a go (I think I'd probably screw it up.) I asked Acer for advice and because the virtual keyboard is working fine, they said that it was a hardware issue. But since the computer is out of warranty, I'm not inclined to send it to their technicians for repair. I'll let you know if this does the trick. 

Many thanks