Aspire 5750z-4877 processor, RAM, and HDD to SSD upgrades

Alex5
Alex5 Member Posts: 8 New User

Hi,

I'd like to upgrade my Aspire 5750z. I'd like to take my processor from an Intel Pentinium dual core running @ 2.00GHz to an Intel i-series quad-core processor (I need a quad for running virtual machines). For the RAM, I'd like to go from two 2gb 2rx8 pc3-10600s-9-10-f2.1333 (together = 4gb) to the maximum suported by my hardware after the processor upgrade (something like 8-16gb). Also, I currently have a Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD3200BPVT 320GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 2.5" HDD with Windows 10 on it, and I'd like to either raplace with SSD or add SSD for seccond hard drive via the dvd drive with an adapter.

Basically, I know where I need to go (as far as how much I need of something), but I'm not sure what I need to be compatible with my existing hardware.

Any advice would be great!

Answers

• Captain_WD
    Captain_WD Member Posts: 39 New User

Hey there Alex Smiley Happy

I'd contact Acer's support to check if the laptop supports 4-core CPUs at all and, if yes, which of them are compatible with your laptop. I'd also ask for the memory limit and what would be the best choice for the best performance.

Regarding the storage, it would really depend on what you are doing. A pure SSD would give you great improvements over the responsiveness of the whole system, decrease all loading times of the applications installed on it and give you faster access and transfer times. If you decide to go for a SSD I would recommend to consider two things:
    - to have it as your primary drive that would hold the OS and the most demanding applications and use the HDD (if you are going for a dual-drive setup) as a secondary massive storage. You can either do a fresh install of the OS (I would recommend that) or clone your HDD onto the SSD (I wouldn't recommend that as it can be quite risky for your data).

- to check the interface of the optical drive's as most of the times a SATAI port is used and if you connect a SSD there it would be seriously limited to 150MB/s. Even if it's a SATAII it would be limited to 300MB/s rather than running at its full potential (if your laptop has SATAIII ports which have the limit of 600MB/s).

Post back with some more info on what you are using the laptop for (besides the VMs). Smiley Happy

Captain_WD.

• Alex5

Contacting Support sounds like a good plan.

I'm using the laptop for VM, 3D design (123D Design), gaming (Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, TF2, Minecraft, etc.), and I currently have it dual-booted with Kali linux for network testing. I also use it for school (Microsoft Office, Google docs) when it's in session.

Thanks for your reply!

• Captain_WD

In this case a better CPU should be of good usage and getting legit info directly from their support should be a good thing to do.

In terms of storage, a SSD should greatly improve the VMs' performance, designing applications' responsiveness and the overall feel of the system. Gaming won't be influenced by much as only the loading times would be shortened.

I believe that combining a bootable SSD that's large enough for holding your OS and work application and an external drive for all the other data would be quite useful. You can use the drive that you currently have in an enclosure or get another, larger drive. A good option would be WD Elements Portable

Post back if you have other questions!

Captain_WD.

• Alex5

Is there a contact email anywhere? The only thing that I find in support is chat or phone, but you have to pay or be under warranty for that.

• Captain_WD

Unfortunately, I can't really help with that. This may be the best thing you can find on the website. Otherwise you may look for a representative on the community and contact them. Smiley Happy Captain_WD.

• Alex5

Sorry for such a late post, but which member would be best to contact for the upgrades?

Thanks

• Captain_WD

I'd check more popular threads with more comments and see if any experienced users or official Acer representatives have commented there. Then you can contact them via a PM for this. Smiley Happy 

Captain_WD.