[Aspire 5750G] Fan not turning on/off when needed.

Options
Foivos
Foivos Member Posts: 1 New User

Ok so i'm gonna tell you the whole story so that you'll know everything needed , and answer me instantly without asking questions that you'd normally do with the first reply.
I had some very severe problems with FPS while playing League of Legends. Pretty unusual , very low , and 15~ FPS.So it appears that the problem is throttling. Temperatures reached 95-100 C while playing.Clock speed went to 0.8 from the 2.7 it normally should be.Pretty huge i (assume?). Then a friend explained to me the whole deal with CPU throttling.(Laptop is ~3 years old) I never actually opened it since the day i bought it.So he told me to open it up (sidenote , watch this video and you'll understand why i wouldn't even try : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maoRU9NhyJo ) and clean every possible dust buildup that there is , including inside the fan , and to apply a good-quality thermal paste to CPU/GPU.And so I did it.In case you wanna know which thermal paste i used , its Arctic MX-4.An other thing i missed to tell you is that before i opened up the laptop , fan was not even working.At all.And i think it really should have cuz there wasnt a huge dust buildup or something like that.ok so after that i obviously tested the FPS i'd get.it was still the same as before with 5 C diffrence.nothing in FPS tho.then after playing and other game , the fan decided it was time to actually work.and when it did i literally felt vibrating the whole laptop.and this time from the left side , istead of just being hot , there was a flamethrower ...(really  hot air coming out) temperetaures reduced by approx. 20 C when fan was active.overall run the game on medium without shadows and perma stable 60 FPS. exactly what i wanted.then i played an other game. fan said it was time to sleep so it went off and fps dropped again.anyway these happened many times so then i decided to look for some Fan Control utilities , like acfancontrol and an other thingy from youtube that seemed to work for other 5750g owners.i dont know which worked , or if they even worked , after playing some games , fan was perma-on and it was some really satisfying gameplay.then i shutted down the laptop and booted again.fan then was off the whole game.fps was a liiiitle higher but i couldnt play to my full potential.ok so guys. what do you think will fix my problem and make my fan controllable so i can set a temp when it starts to turn on ? or perhaps its jsut faulty and i need to replace it? it wont be very costy since i have to buy the exact same model which is  cheap probably..what do you think i should do ?

p.s : an other piece of information that's probably useless but i want to mention it : i also have a thing that helps the laptop stand and offer some cool air.

Update : I searched the the acer forums , and found the fan control utility that a couple of users posted.It was for my model so i said why not ? ok so , 0 errors , 0 problems with installation , but then when i press "Full on" the fan doesnt start working , and , even under heavy load , while in-game , its not even consdiered heavy but anyways , when temps reach 85~-90 or something like that , +- , the fan does not start working.

[edited to comply with guidelines]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,623 Trailblazer
    Options

Likely mainboard hardware failure in the fan control circuit. You might try bypassing this issue by manually switching the fan's power plug. Not elegant but avoids trying a new MB.

Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ