Aspire 5750 Trackpad Missing from Device Manager

Options
shakuji
shakuji Member Posts: 8 New User

The HD died on the Aspire 5750 laptop, so I put a new one in, and installed Windows7 64bit. I've managed to get the drivers in for everything except the trackpad.

There seems to be no trackpad listed in the Device Manager, and nothing listed with a question mark. Human Interface devices just has the Microsoft Mouse I'm using listed, and it's the same for 'Mice and other pointing devices'.

I've tried installing all the drivers listed on the Acer support page, but to no avail.

On the Mouse properties, there is a pane marked Elan. However, the options are greyed out, and there is nothing listed under 'device'.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

have you tried to enable/disable it using Fn+F7?

is the trackpad working even without drivers?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • shakuji
    Options

Hi - Fn+F7 doesn't have any effect.

No - the trackpad doesn't work at all.

• shakuji
    Options

Yes - that's there, and when I press FN f7, I get the grey icon briefly flashing up showing that it's (apparently) turning off and on).

Appreciating your help with this!

• IronFly
    Options

i would try to uninstall the 2 touchpad drivers you downloaded from Acer support website, then on Device manager right click any device under "mice and other pointing devices" and choose uninstall.

then reboot and check again if touchpad works or not.

if not please on Device manager, view tab, click on Show disable devices, and check if any touchpad is here.

• shakuji
    Options

Tried uninstalling ... no luck.

BUT - followed your advice about disabled devices. Found disabled/hidden in 'Mice and other Pointing Devices' ELAN PS/2 Port Smart-Pad, with hardware ID ACPI\ETD0500. Googling that brings up a million sites, with lots of downloads...not sure which is correct.

• shakuji
    Options

Ah - uninstalled the driver to that, and rebooted. Windows gave a message about reinstalling driver, and we're back where we were, with it listed as hidden. The location is also listed as 'plugged into PS/2 mouse port'...

• IronFly
    Options

Install the Elantech drivers:

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/TouchPad/TouchPad_ELANTECH_11.6.2.1_W7x64W7x86_A.zip?acerid=634820030289304671&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%205750&OS=711&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

with device manager open, disconnect any external mouse and try to enable/disable trackpad with Fn+F7 and check on Device manager if something change.

• shakuji
    Options

I have tried this, but to no avail. When installing the driver, at the end of it, it just says that it's successfully installed for the mouse. No mention of a trackpad.

Going to the mouse properties still shows no device listed in the Elan Tab.

I'm getting rather stuck here...

• IronFly
    Options

so...still no luck on having trackpd working....

it still show as hidden device on device manager?

any yellow exclamation mark?

• shakuji
    Options

Hi - sorry for delay in getting back to you.

Nothing seems to work. Yes - still have an exclamation mark in device manager under 'mice and other pointing devices' for ELAN PS/2 Port Smart-Pad. Deleted driver and installed that driver link, but it only reports at the end that it's installed a driver for a mouse.

Not sure where else I can go from here...

• shakuji
    Options

No idea if it's related, but when I try to choose a driver for ELAN PS/2 Port Smart-Pad from the standard included Windows ones, the only drivers it suggests are for mice...not for trackpads, even if I untick 'show compatible hardware'.

• IronFly
    Options

yes, sometimes simple trackpads are labeled as mouse.