Aspire 5742 wifi problem (works intermittently, usually not at all)

Options
NateLinehan
NateLinehan Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello. My laptop has had a wifi problem for over a year now. (The monitor doesn't work. I have to run it through my TV so I haven't been able to bring it anywhere else yet to try a different connection.)

On our home wifi, the wifi only works very rarely and when it does it is very very slow. The signal is visible and almost full. The computer says it is connected with good signal. All of our other devices are working fine. This laptop will work when I plug a usb wireless card into it, but there is a problem with the built-in one. I recently did a factory restore, after which the wifi was once again working, albeit still a bit slower than the other devices in our home (but not as slowly as it will now on the rare occasion where it works). Somewhere along the line after installing windows updates and a few other programs (MSE, Malwarebytes, etc.), it broke again, but I'm not sure where exactly. One important fact to keep in mind is that I do not have access to the router. Our neighbors shared their password wiith us, but I can't ask them if I can go in there and unplug their router or do any other testing (there are unrelated personal problems). 

I've tried several fixes and done quite a bit of googling to little avail:

• I've updated to the newest wifi driver at the atheros website.

• I've switched to google dns and back.

• I've turned off power saving features.

• I've unchecked IPv6 and then checked it again.

• I've opened an elevated command prompy and done netsh winsock reset and restarted the computer. I've also tried netsh int ip reset.

• I've tried disabling virus, malware, and firewall tools.

• I've opened up the bottom of the laptop to make sure the black and white wires are connected to the  wireless card (I'm no expert so I may have overlooked something here.)

• I've tried multiple browsers. 

I'm pretty sure there are other things I have tried that I can't recall at the moment. Keep in mind I can't currently access the router and am using a TV via HDMI output as a monitor.

I really really need to get to the bottom of this. Can someone PLEASE help me? Any help would be so greatly appreciated.  If there is any other information I can provide to help you help me, please let me know. 

Thanks!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    Options

Let's try to get the video fixed first. Have you tried to toggle the lid screen on and off with the F5 or F6 keys?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ