Aspire 5742 orange light blinks four times instead of powering up .. HELP !

TanyaHimanen
TanyaHimanen Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Aspire 5742 orange light blinks four times instead of powering up .. HELP !

Woman Frustrated

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer

Hello,

Have you performed a power reset? Follow this procedure.

France
  • philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

It's possibly a bad power supply. If you can borrow one to test or go to a small computer shop to test or they are cheap and this is a very good brand.

https://www.amazon.ca/AC-Adapter-Laptop-Charger-Acer-Aspire-5250-5253-5552-5733-5733z-5741z-5742-5742z-5745-5750-7750z-Supply/dp/B0044ZFW0A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1458154675&sr=8-4&keywords=Aspire+5742+power+supply

• TanyaHimanen

Tinkerer

Okay, now .. I FINALLY managed to get the laptop to start charging, and then to power up. YAY ! Now, new problem: the front of the laptop, I now have one orange and one blue light, as well as one blue light on the power button, all blinking simultaneously non-stop. Now what ?! WoW !! Plz help ! Thanx Woman Frustrated

• philetus

Did you get another power supply?

Is it booting into Windows?

The two (orange and blue could be a bad hard drive. 

See if this does anything.

Remove the power cord and battery. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Plug in the power cord and start it.If everything is good, plug in the battery.

• TanyaHimanen

Tinkerer

No, I did replace the power supply, I am still using the same one as before. I managed to get it to FINALLY start charging the battery. A couple of hours later, I tried powering it up, and it booted up .. straight into Windows. I have not powered it off yet, tho, so who knows what'll happen then ! As for the removing the cord, then the battery, holding down the power button and all that .. yes, I did do all that .. more times than I want to remember. None of all that helped me at all. Any idea what to do about these blinking lights now ?

• philetus

If it has been charging for a few hours, shut down, remove the power cord and see if it will start on battery. 

Did it start? Are the lights still blinking?

Plug in power and see what happens.