Aspire 5742 motherboard power problem

Options
murkyin12
murkyin12 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I have had this laptop as my daily driver since 2011.  I usually leave it on all the time.  Today I found it was off but I did not power it down.  I pressed the power button and the laptop powered up but it came awake from sleep instead of cold boot.  The laptop ran for maybe 5 minutes while I tried to figure out what went wrong.  The battery was showing low charge.  Then the computer turned off.  This time I could not turn it back on.  The charging light does not light.  I checked the AC adapter and it measures 19 volts DC (as spec'd).

I have tried all combinations of removing power cable and battery and holding the power button down for 30 seconds and still nothing.  I have tried powering up without the battery and still nothing.

My guess is that the power circuit on the motherboard has failed and caused the battery to drain down until the laptop automatically put itself to sleep.

I am experienced in electronics but I need some guidance on how to troubleshoot the power circuits on the motherboard.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,592 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>The charging light does not light.>>>My guess is that the power circuit on the motherboard has failed and caused the battery to drain down until the laptop automatically put itself to sleep.>>>

I'm gonna more optimistically guess that the battery's control board or the battery itself has failed. How old is the battery? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• murkyin12
    murkyin12 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

The battery is about 2 years old.  I also have a second battery (original) and I have tried it and it also has the same symptoms.

Also, if I remove the battery, shouldn't the laptop power up regardless?

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,592 Trailblazer
    Options

It should with the charger only. Agreed, not a good sign. However you said earlier>>>it came awake from sleep instead of cold boot.>>>The battery was showing low charge.  Then the computer turned off.>>>

This has all the earmarks of a bad battery or bad battery chip issue. Unless your old battery has been regularly charged every once and a while, I wouldn't put too much faith in its result. If you're adventuresome, you could check the remote possibility that the CPU fan cable or heat sink somehow came loose. Either of these issues are claimed to prevent powering on.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ