Aspire 5742-7653 Stuck in reboot loop

NanDee
NanDee Member Posts: 13 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

My Acer 5742-7653 is stuck in reboot loop.  It starts to load Windows 7, and then the screen goes black, and it beeps a bit, and theen starts over again.  The F2 button no longer gets me into Setup.  And the F12 doesn't work.  I can't get into SafeMode or Setup.  When the problem first began, I could sometimes get into Setup and boot from an external HD which as a diskImage. 

I used to be able to remove battery, and remove HDD and RAM, and then it would boot up from the external HD.  To get through a busy period at work we set the power option so the computer would never shut off.  But this is creating problems with all the Firefox, Adobe and Windows updates that want to run.

This is running on Windows 7, 64bit.

How can I determine if this is a problem with the HDD, or the RAM?  or Motherboard?

What else could it be?

I am not too technical, so please be clear in your response.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Go here:

https://neosmart.net/wiki/startup-repair-infinite-loop/#Fixes_for_Infinite_Loop_of_Startup_Repair_on_Windows_Vista_7

Scroll down to "Startup Repair forInfinite Loop:Windows 7

You'll need a Windows 7 install disk. If you don't have one, you can download one here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/186775/how-to-download-windows-7-8-and-8.1-installation-media-legally/

• EEuk
    EEuk Member Posts: 10 New User

Did this fix the problem?  I have a similar problem but the PC loops without making it into windows and I can't even "f2" into BIOS so had assumed that the problem wasn't a windows 7 loop but was some kind of hardware/BIOS mismatch.

• NanDee

I am also unable to use F2 to get into BIOS.  I replaced the HDD with an SDD and it booted up from my external HD but it won't boot by itself.  Still gets stuck in the loop so it's not the HDD.  Changing a motherboard looks like it's beyond my level of patience so I have not done anything further.

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer

You could also try the following (or a variation of it) that I posted to EEuk's thread:

It has been reported that this problem is caused by registry corruption.

I would try:

Check the BIOS and ensure your SATA Mode has AHCI selected.

Confirm your exact driver requirements (from Device Manager) from your working installation and only have those available for loading.

Disconnect network to initially prevent any updating.

Perform a fresh install on SSD and load correct drivers only.

Reconnect network and configure.

Attempt Windows update.

If you run into the same problem then reboot from USB drive (or CD drive) and use recovery console - details can be found here:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-windows-7-infinit​e-reboot-loop/

• NanDee

Thanks for your efforts to help me out of the endless loop. You said:

>>>Check the BIOS and ensure your SATA Mode has AHCI selected.

Please explain how to check BIOS if I am unable to access it.  When I press F2 or F12 nothing happens.  Sometimes I will hear 3 beeps, sometimes it will start to load windows, sometimes it will say "entering BIOS" but then it will shut down before it ever loads anything.

>>Confirm your exact driver requirements (from Device Manager) from your working installation and only have those available for loading. 

Please tell me all the steps for accessing the Device Manager when I am still stuck in endless loop.  At this moment, it is not booting at all.  Tomorrow I will likely try to remove SSD and RAM and then put them back in and see if that will allow me to boot.  Otherwise, I have to take it to a shop.  I already paid them $80 to fix it once and it lasted only until a Firefox Update and then failed to reboot.

Thanks.

• EEuk

The only way I could check the BIOS was to remove the SSD hard drive and reboot.  Once I'd done that I found I could check that it was set-up for AHCI - which was the same setting with the older HD.

I have upgraded the BIOS by using the available upgrade on this site - I did so with my old HD installed it.

My current assumption is that the ACER reboot loop is caused by a hardware fault with the SSD... I'm going to return it and get another.

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer

NanDee,
    That's why I added 'or a variation of it'. Just investigate the link to see if that helps you.

EEuk,
    An SSD firmware issue could well be the problem. It may be worthwhile checking the manufacturer's site.

• EEuk

good idea Alan - I've checked the Samsung site there isn't one unfortunately.

• NanDee

I have spoken with the SSD customer support and they were unable to solve the problem.  They suggested re-installing Windows 7, or changing the motherboard.  I am trying to reinstall windows but the link provided in this thread does not work.  I get a message that says  "The product key you entered appears to be for software that was pre-installed on a device.  Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options."  I was using the product key on the bottom of my Acer, which did some pre-installed.  What to do now?

• NanDee

Your suggestion did not work.  I ran ckdsk and then at some point a reboot started and it went into the endless boot loop where I can't get into F2, bios, or safe mode.  I have to remove SSD & RAM & battery, plug in my external drive, and do this many many times hoping that after a long time, finally it will boot.  This is not good for business.  Or pleasure either.

I am including the link you suggested - to repeat - IT DID NOT WORK.  Sorry.

>>>>>>>

Go here:

https://neosmart.net/wiki/startup-repair-infinite-loop/#Fixes_for_Infinite_Loop_of_Startup_Repair_on...

• EEuk

that link is for windows reboots.  What I've experienced, and I suspect you have, appears to be a BIOS start-up check that finds a problem, I assume its something related to the harddrive.  For some reason ACER have decided that its better to go into an endless boot loop than display a useful  error message ;-)

I've now got a new SSD so will have a go again, I decided to try a different manufacturer this time.  First one was Samsung, next one will be crucial.

• NanDee

I replaced the HDD with a crucial SSD.  Crucial cust support was helpful and in USA, but I still have the same reboot problem.  The recovery disc that I made when I got the acer do not work either in case someone asks.

What Idon't understand is why  microsoft won't accept a product key for windows that was preinstalled.  They provide an online re-install link, but when I enter my product key I get a message saying that it is invalied b/c it was preinstalled software.

• EEuk

I think what you may need is the retail ISO installer for windows.

If this fails to recognise the license there is an option to call M$ and they can take you through a menu system to get the product license recognise.

In my initial install attempt, before the drive failed, I did manage to get the license key validated automatically.

• NanDee

I miraculously was able to reinstall windows today -- I went into some advanced recovery mode.  It rebooted by itself, exciting.  Then I went to reinstall a program and SAME OLE REBOOT PROBLEM.

Now I am ordering a new motherboard.  I have someone who can install it for me.  But I want to know how to confirm the part number without being able to see the part number on the motherboard.  I can't take the whole laptop apart.  It was not visible from where the Hard Drive and RAM are.  I would have to take off too many parts to find it.

Tried looking in the 300+ page manual online but could not find a motherboard part number.

Suggestions?

• jobracy
    jobracy Member Posts: 3 New User

I don't even get a beep anymore...just a FAST LOOP!

• NanDee

I ordered a replacement motherboard from Ebay.  They sent the wrong part.  While waiting for the new replacement part to arrive, I managed to reinstall windows.  That totally fixed the problem.  The updates took forever, but I have now re-booted the laptop 50 times, and it runs ever so smoothly.  I should have tried that first thing.  For those of you who may not want to be bothered with re-installing windows, I highly recommend it.  I spent every so much time trying other things, replacing the HDD, getting new RAM, and ordering a motherboard, and running various virus scans.  I am happy with the new SSD and RAM, so will keep them.  The  motherboard has free returns so it will go back.

REINSTALL WINDOWS.

• EEuk

my update on my problems installing an SSD and reinstalling windows...

I tried at first with a Samsung SSD.  This appeared to work fine in terms of the upgrade.  But during the plethora of windows upgrades the device rebooted and went into the endless black screen of death with no options to even get into BIOS.

I returned the samsung and got a crucial SSD.  The upgrade process wasn't quite as smooth and I bounced around some support sites trying to find a way through.  Eventually it installed and I moved onto installing additional components, I made sure windows updates were set to manual and put the license key in from the printed label on the laptop.

In sequence I installed the following:

1. AV
    2. some device drivers from this site for networking, video, etc..
    3. firefox/chrome
    4. some browser plugins
    5. windows updates - which took ages.  I had a couple of crashes and ended up going back to the beginning and starting again going through the windows updates in small batches.

Now all seems to be very stable, I've installed a few other apps since and copied some data across.

Windows licensing did eventually fail on the on-line checks but after going through the telephone registration process all seems to have now worked.

• define
    define Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,

The problem seams to be the D2D Recovery feature (Restoring PC without DVD´s with ALT+F10).

I dont know why Samsungs SSD disks dont like that feature. But to fix the problem you need to disconnect you SSD to be able to enter BIOS via F2. Then go to Main and disable D2D Recovery.

I dont know why Acer support keep telling the customer to replace motherboards. They should know better!

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, serial numbers, etc.]

• oldguy2
    oldguy2 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Simply change the CMOS button battery in your laptop. That fixed my endless bootup routine. You will need to reset the date and time on your PC after replacing the CMOS.