Aspire 5733Z random shutdowns after battery replacement

LadyLion804
LadyLion804 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi everyone!

I have an Aspire 5733Z and have been searching all morning for help with my issue and can't find any answers. I found this site and thought Finally! Then joined and can't find a thread to post to as I'm very computer illiterate and have no clue as to what category I would fit in.Smiley Frustrated I know I will be offending someone by just mentioning this but if anyone can help point me in the right direction, I'd truly be appreciative Smiley Happy

Thanks in advance and I'm glad to be here with all you Acer Owner's Smiley Happy

LadyLion804

Answers

• LadyLion804
    LadyLion804 Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks to ElizabethS for getting me here!!!

I've had my Aspire 5733Z since 9/5/11 and haven't had any issues until about a month ago, when I received an error message that the battery needed to be replaced. I went to Amazon and ordered the same make and model battery to replace it thinking easy-peasy right? Well I couldn't have been more wrong Smiley Frustrated 

The battery light on my laptop keeps flashing and telling me its not charging even though its plugged in and the computer keeps shutting down randomly whether I'm online or not.  Since I've had her, I've tried to keep the wire vent thing on the bottom of the computer free of lint and dust and I've even had her on a wooden pot holder that raises her enough to keep the air circulating so she doesn't get hot. She gets her updates on a regular basis and I've defraged her just recently.

My son ran a HDD diagnostic and restored her to the factory default to no avail. Today, after the 20th time of shutting down and restarting, I noticed a new screen had popped up from the normal "your computer didn't shut down properly would you like to open windows normally" screen only after I pressed the enter key Smiley Surprised It told me it was "repairing the start-up process" which took a little over 3 hours Smiley Frustrated before it started.

Now my questions are:  Is this the end of the old gal? Is there anything that can be done? Can she be fixed? I really hope someone might have another suggestion to try.  I don't want to give up on her just yet and I just can't imagine a computer, well a laptop's life is only 5 years Smiley Frustrated

Thanks for reading  Smiley Happy

• aaster23
    aaster23 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Have you tried to use the laptop whitout battery? 
    Is the old battery charging?

• Elkino2003
    Elkino2003 Member Posts: 68 Troubleshooter

I have seen the same problem with my Acer Aspire 5733z

It was kind of erractic sound when booting and shutting down frequently

I will suggest you check your hard drive. You can do it manually by removing the hard drive. 

Afterwards boot the machine without the the HDD. If booting is successful, it means the problem is from the hard drive

Then also try to remove the battery and use the adapter to charge directly. If that's is also successful, it also implies that there is no contact between the the battery and ot terminals.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Any time there is a battery problem I suggest that BatteryInfoView from Nirsoft can tell you exactly what is the sepecification and condition of the battery and is it taking a charge (and more). Can also tell you if your old battery is really bad.