Aspire 5560G vga bios not found problem

Maxime506
Maxime506 Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello there,

I have an aspire 5560g laptop with a6 3400m apu and HD 6650m dedicated gpu. 

When I was playing gta v the laptop hanged and I have to reset my laptop. However it shows BSODs whenever I start up. Occasionally when I pressed f2 and enter the bios I found this:

[edited to comply with guidelines - removed image displaying serial number]

Normally the vga bios version line should shows the version, when it's not found, the system crashes whenever a new vga driver is installed.

When I set graphic from switchable to integrated, the vga bios read the correct version and I found no problem installing and drivers. Since playing games with the integrated gpu is a bad experience I want my 6650m up and run. Any good suggestions?

P.s I have flash the bios from 1.09 to 1.15 and 1.17 and it never helps. Strangely when I backup my bios using Bios Universal Toolkit 2.0 I can locate the 60kb video bios from files safe and sound (one for the integrated gpu, one for 6470m and 6650m) I am using Windows 7 sp1 home premium.

And more pics hope they help.

IMG_20150712_215639.jpg

The video memory is not available but usually it should be 1024mb

IMG_20150713_115902.jpg

System crash on start up when a new driver is installed. I've tried: acer original driver, 13.12 whql and modded driver, 14.4, 14.12 and 15.7

Thanks a lot for help!!!

Sincerely,

Maxime

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

one thing to try is to reset CMOS but it looks more an hardware issue on vga ram than BIOS side.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Maxime506

Thanks for the help!

This is the new pic of the BIOS screenshot: 

IMG_20150712_215630.jpg

The thing is, first of all the bios cannot detect the correct version of the 6650M, or simply cannot detect the gpu at all. Then it's why it cannot show the right amount of video ram. I think chance is low that the RAM chip of the gpu is damaged but this is one of the possibility.

atiflash in DOS mode can read the version the gpu. it just cannot access the video bios since it is integrated with the main one. Winatiflash cannot touch the video bios either.

CLearing CMOS...it involves removing the CMOS battery and I have to dismantle nearly the whole laptop to have access to that. Is there anyway I can reset the CMOS without disassemble the whole thing?

• IronFly

probably there are 2 pins to short to reset CMOS but i don't know where they can be.

about VGA BIOS, since it's integrated with main BIOS, would you mind to reflash the latest available BIOS for your laptop?

• Maxime506

Yes I have flashed the bios not less than 10 times, and I have tried every version available. It doesn't fix the problem anyway.

Is it possible that some catalyst driver can fix this problem deep inside?

Thanks you!

• IronFly

Nope.

this is a very low level issue, something went bad on VGA chip or between chipset BIOS and VGA BIOS; i'm sorry but don't have any other ideas.

• Maxime506

Thank you so much ironfly, I think one day there might be a solution anyway, since gpuz still detect my dedicated graphic card. The bios software might be messed somewhere and the engineers who designed may have an answer for this.

BTW I took pain disassemble thatbrig and reseated the cmos battery, still doesn't work anyway.

• IronFly

You welcome. Smiley Happy

• yishiluo
    yishiluo Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,

I have an aspire 3820tzg with amd hd 5650 and have the same problem with you. The issue first came out around 1 year ago. When I was watching video, the screen suddenly froze. After reboot, a blue screen appeared. Just like your laptop, mine became totally unusable unless using integrated graphics. I tried installing different versions of Windows and drivers, flashing different versions of BIOS, removing the cmos battery, and even physically giving a pressure on the graphics chip. Not any luckSmiley Sad

The internal screen doesn't work at all if I switch to dedicated graphics, while the external screen has some irregular stripes on it. The vga bios version is "1994" in BIOS setup.

However, it once went right several days after the first down, and then broke again soon. I didn't do anything special during the time. IMO, this might be a hardware issue caused by bad contact inside the chip.

If anyone find a solution to this problem or more information about it, please let me know. Thanks.