Aspire 5553G Black Screen

Options
dsawyer
dsawyer Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Any help and answers are appreciated.

I've got an Acer Aspire 5553G-5357 that was working fine and I had it shut down for about 36 hours.  After that, when I was trying to start it, I found it wouldn't start.  The power button lights up, the charge indicator comes on, but the hard drive, DVD drive, and other lights just flash once and stop.  It is not the backlight and the computer doesn't sound like it's going through the whole boot-up process.

Since updating to the new Windows OS, I have been trying to fix an issue with the laptop not recognizing external displays and getting the DVD drive to respond.  I don't think those issues have any barring, but just in case...

I've tried:
-Removing the battery and AC power, holding the power button for 1 minute
-Connecting to a TV with HDMI and VGA (but I had problems with the driver before)
-Tapping the F2 key and the F6 key (separately) while pushing the power button on

I have been looking into flashing the BIOS, but Acer's driver files seem to be missing a key .exe flash, according to several places I'd been reading and I can't figure out how to get it.

Fingers crossed that it is the BIOS!  If it's the motherboard or graphics card, are they replacable on this model, or not?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,616 Trailblazer
    Options

A long shot but you might try the ALT+F10 reset if the Win10 install hasn't already wiped out the HDD's hidden recovery partition. Follow this video ***exactly*** https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2xoMEPfiPQ 

A BIOS firmware failure is probably not any more likely than a BIOS chip hardware failure. In either case, I doubt trying to flash the BIOS with new firmware is gonna resolve the issue.

If you tried to HDMI out to a TV and it failed (make sure you try to turn the TV screen on with the Fn+F5 toggle key combo), then the integrated graphics card is probably shot. This is a parts list of the compatible motherboards for your system.  Google does turn up a few in the $100 range. But it might not be a practical solution that's 100% guaranteed work. Jack E/NJ 

MB.PU906.001

MB.PUA06.001

MB.PUB06.001

Jack E/NJ

• dsawyer
    Options

Thanks for the advice, JackE.  Can you answer a few more questions?

Would flashing the BIOS do any harm?  Honestly, the more I look into it, the more that or the motherboard seem to be likely.  I am working in Japan at the moment and won't be back in the States for 2 months, so getting help replacing the motherboard will be more difficult than normal.

I think your trick with F10 will be my last-resort option, as the computer doesn't seem to boot-up far enough for that to really be of use.  Plus, the possibility of wiping the C drive!  I have back-ups, of course, but I would still prefer not to have to deal with all that.

So...do you know how to flash the BIOS on this model? And do you think it would cause any harm?

I have seen other people on this board ask for help with this, but it is a little foggy on details and results.  I have downloaded the new firmware, with the .exe file (which is not called "flash", as many of the tutorials call for) and the ROM files with a .bin.  I just don't know how to proceed, or if I should proceed.

A bit more advice, please?

• JackE
    Options

>>>Would flashing the BIOS do any harm?>>>I think your trick with [ALT+] F10 will be my last-resort option, as the computer doesn't seem to boot-up far enough for that to really be of use.>>>

Flashing would be my last resort option. The Alt+F10 erecovery is ***by far*** a much safer option at this point. I do agree however, that if the system doesn't even display the ACER coldboot logo screen, the chances of erecovery are slim but it's worth a try before messing with BIOS firmware.

If the Alt+F10 fails, the BIOS flashing firmware should come as a zip file. When unzipped it should yield a DOS subdirectory with the files you'll need to make a bootable BIOS flash stick. Google "phoenix bios recovery" with the quotes and follow the directions for doing so with WinCris.exe download on the bios-mods site.

Good luck.

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• dsawyer
    Options

I took your advice and tried the ALT+10 key and nothing happened.  In another forum, I read that FN + F10 can do the same with some Acer computers, so I tried that.  The power button blinks.  Not sure if that is good or bad.  >_<

Going to let it blink for a few more minutes, then look up the WinCRIS info.  Thank you for your time and advice.  I very much appreciate it!

• JackE
    Options

If you followed the ALT+F10 eRecovery video and it failed, and the coldboot screen (including an externally HDMI-connected TV screen turned on using the Fn+F5 toggle key combo)  remains black with no ACER logo screen, then follow the "phoenix bios recovery" on the bios mods site. You may have to try renaming a few ROM, WPH or BIN extension files that you may find in the unzipped DOS subdirectory. Each must be tried separately in the root directory of the bootable USB stick made with the WinCris.exe program using the Fn+Esc boot method.

I must warn you that a BIOS failure like this is probably a chip hardware failure, not firmware corruption. You may get brief USB stick LED activity on using Fn+Esc but, unless the system automatically tries to re-boot soon after the activity ceases,  then the chip is likely dead.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ