Aspire 5552 laptop cant restore as CD-Rom now not working

Options
alanog
alanog Member Posts: 8 New User

I updated to Windows 10. I have since found out from Acer that my laptop isnt compatible. OOps. I want to completley wipe my laptop back to its factory state as i have had a few glitches and blue screens. I have the backup discs that i created when i got the laptop, but now my dvd drive wont work at all. How else can i do this? Any help is appreciated.

Best Answer

• alanog
    Answer ✓
    Options

Ok so i thought i would add this in as i have just spoken to a Acer support agent. They have suggested the first thing i do is roll back to Windows 7 by following the steps on this page.....

http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37930/kw/roll%20back

Then, using an external optical driver, use the recovery CD's to bring it back to factory settings. I check on amazon and an optical drive is only £10-20 so might be worth just taking a punt on that.

Hope this helps anyone else.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

the CD-rom driver doesn't work on windows 10 or at all?

hvae you tried to insert the first CD/DVD and then boot pressing F12, choose the CD/DVD as bootable device?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • alanog
    Options

It doesnt work at all now. No lights, no response when a CD is inserted, doesnt show up in My Computer. Sounds like its dead, RIP my CD-ROM 

P>S> thanks for replying.

• IronFly
    Options

please insert a DVD/CD, power off your laptop, boot pressing F12 and check if your CD/DVD reader is available as bootable device, if so....you can select it and check if it boots.

if F12 option is not available, you need to enable it, boot to BIOS pressing F2 and look for F12 option, once enabled press F10, save and exit, try again to boot pressing F12

• alanog
    Options

OK i will try this. Can you enlighten me to what a DVD7CD is? Is there a link to a downloadable version. Im at work so can make one here and bring it home.

• IronFly
    Options

it was a typo CD/DVD drive

• alanog
    Options

I will try this tonight, although i am sure i have tried it already and got nothing. Obviuously, USB is fine but not CD-ROM.

• IronFly
    Options

what was the factory windows version on your laptop?

have you another PC with a working CD/DVD drive?

• alanog
    Options

Only at work, which is where i am now Smiley Sad 

the version of windows it was running was Vista i think. so XP.

• alanog
    Options

Justr ran my Serial through the ACEr website and it came back Windows 7.

• IronFly
    Options

check if this post can help you to make an USB bootable media from your DVDs:

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/143785-recovery-discs-usb.html#post1595789

• alanog
    Options

Thanks for that. Had a read and although it sounds complicated it could be a winner. I will have a go and see if i can get it working tonight.

thanks again.

• alanog
    Answer ✓
    Options

Ok so i thought i would add this in as i have just spoken to a Acer support agent. They have suggested the first thing i do is roll back to Windows 7 by following the steps on this page.....

http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37930/kw/roll%20back

Then, using an external optical driver, use the recovery CD's to bring it back to factory settings. I check on amazon and an optical drive is only £10-20 so might be worth just taking a punt on that.

Hope this helps anyone else.