Aspire 5552-5898 Trouble booting, and motherboard won't hold date

Options
Wellergroove
Wellergroove Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hello Community,

I have a 4 year old Aspire 5552-5898 which is having issues that I have not yet seen addressed on this community. I am hoping some one here may have some insight.

The issue is actually two issue's, but I assume there may be one solution.

First issue is that the Laptop doesn't always boot. When this happens, the power button will light, the fan will spin, the HDD will start, but the screen stays black. Sometimes the PC will restart but the same thing will happen. Usually when this happens, if you hold down the power button, the laptop will power down, only to start up again. The only way to end this cycle is to unplug the machine and pull out the battery. Also of note this seems to happen 100% of the time if the machine is not plugged in, and about 50% of the time when it is.

The next issue occurs when the machine does actually boot. I HAVE to enter the bios because it never holds the date. I thought this could be a CMOS battery issue, but even after replacing that, the problem persists. After entering the date, and saving and exiting, the machine will boot into windows just fine.

Thank you for reading and commenting.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Have you tried re-flashing bios and load optimal defaults, then set as you need?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Wellergroove
    Wellergroove Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I will try that later. I am without internet right now, so hopefully I will be able to d/l the new bios to my phone, then transfer it to the PC, then copy that the a flash drive, then follow the instrustions I found in another thread.

If this doesn't work, should I just hope that there are some good Cyber MOnday deals?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

yep..... Smiley Sad

I'm not an Acer employee.