Aspire 5551-2384 on Windows 10 freezing

Options
Sanssail01
Sanssail01 Member Posts: 6 New User

My Aspire 5551 will not run Windows-10 longer than about 15 min. The laptop has a Crucial mx-100 SSD which was installed and ran on Windows-7. Windows-10 is uptodate.

The task manager shows 100% disk utilization even though there is minimal I/O which gradually tapers to about .1 mb/sec in about 10 sec after the 100% appears.

Invoking a task ends up with a windows not responding message.  Sometimes file explorer will work if invoked.

I understand Acer is no longer supporting this model, nonetheless Micrsoft says it is avalid system.

I have tried every trick/solution reported in windows-10 forum and microsoft community. Has anybody had this problem with this laptop? and has anybody found a lasting solution?

Regards Sanssail01

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,592 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

>>>I decided to do a clean install of the latest version of windows-10  wiping the disk clean.>>>

Good for you! That was sort of a "last resort" suggestion that I thought you really wouldn't wanna hear yet before trying some other less drastic measures! Let us know how it goes.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options

I assume your SSD doesn't have a Win7 recovery partition. Did you make a backup? What does Win10 device mgr show if you can access it.  

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sanssail01
    Options

Hello Jack

Sorry for the test replies

Yes it has the 3 original partitions,  I have a number of image backups. Device manager shows no problems and System event recorder shows no serious or critical problems.

Regards

Sanssail01

• JackE
    Options

>>>My Aspire 5551 will not run Windows-10 longer than about 15 min.>>>

OK. Next question. Has it ***ever*** run longer under Win10?

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Sanssail01
    Options

Yes it has....on the original W-10 release it ran upto a day on occasion. I tried various free anti-virus but they made no difference. I still suspect windows defender however.

Today I disabled windows defender immediately after boot, and also disabled wi-fi,  ran for 1/2 hour no problems doing some disk intensive activity,  I then turned on defender and also did a quick scan , no problems. I have now turned on wi-fi and saw this  message. maybe this activity has caused some kind of delay in an obscure service running or something.  On a previous occassion I did a safe boot and had no problem but a clean regular boot with no programs in the startup menu it failed.....???

• JackE
    Options

OK. I suspect something else. Upon cold booting and wifi on, run task manager. Then monitor processes over the next 30 minutes or so. Do you see any processes that seem to be running multiple copies at an increasing rate and thereby consuming more and more memory as time goes on?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sanssail01
    Options

Hello Jack

No... There is no inncrease in memory it stays abetween 30-40%

Incidentally...just after I sent the previous reply the system hung.

• JackE
    Options

>>>There is no inncrease in memory it stays abetween 30-40%>>>

Not just total memory usage. After re-booting with wifi on, look for any files that run multiple copies of themselves for all users. Maybe only a half dozen or so at the start, but then running many more copies over a half-hour or so.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Sanssail01
    Options

While these discussions were going on I decided to do a clean install of the latest version of windows-10  wiping the disk clean.   Viola ..... the system has been running for 24 hrs with a few reboots to install updates and reinstall software. There has been no freezing, Skype was a bit problematic in terms of CPU and DISK activity but it did not freeze. I have removed skype. It is frustrating not too have found the cause but I am hoping this is resolved.

Jack...  your help and perssistence was helpful and appreciated. I will let the system run for a cople of days before I mark this solved.

Regards

Sanssail01 

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options

>>>I decided to do a clean install of the latest version of windows-10  wiping the disk clean.>>>

Good for you! That was sort of a "last resort" suggestion that I thought you really wouldn't wanna hear yet before trying some other less drastic measures! Let us know how it goes.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Sanssail01
    Options

The clean install seems to have solved the problem

Thankyou Jack