Aspire 5517 - Screen turns black after 1 second

Options
theoldwizard1
theoldwizard1 Member Posts: 2 New User

I have repaired a few laptop in my time so when a friend said his screen was black but he could read it with a flashlight I guessed right away it was an inverter problem.

I got a new inverter off of *bay, carefully removed the display bezel, swapped in the new inverter and powered it up.  Successfully boots into Windows !  Shut it down, screwed the inverter down, put the bezel back on and now the display comes on for 1 second, just long enough to see thae "Acer" splash screen, and then goes black.  Yes you can still read the screen with a flashlight.

Checked the power in and out wires, they look good. Re-seated both conectors.  unscrewed the inverter board from the displat so that it is :floating". Nothing.  Swapped in the old inverter and it acts the same ?

Any ideas ?

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,093 Trailblazer
    Options

Hello,

1- You haven't forgotten to remove the battery during assembly and disassembly?

2- Have you tried with an external monitor?

France
  • theoldwizard1
    theoldwizard1 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Yes, I removed and replaced the battery.  I don't like high voltage.

The GPU works because you can read the display if you shine a light on it.

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,093 Trailblazer
    Options

You wrote:

"The GPU works because you can read the display if you shine a light on it."

So it's a LCD panel issue. To be sure, I prefer you try to connect it to a LCD TV in using the VGA or HDMI port.

France