Aspire 5349, webcam lost post-Win10 installation

Options
midlothianchump
midlothianchump Member Posts: 18 New User

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ap6SuR6y_kgdi3L9CzF78YfLsJWy

A cloud location to watch my short smartphone video, please, in which I show the wandering I'm doing in device manager dialog boxes. I still can't even identify or locate my webcam since installing Win'10 on my Aspire 5349. (Looking to install "up to date drivers" has been an utter festival of false hopes, most web help pages turning out to be just intent on remedy software and subscription marketing.)  This  Aspire heretofore has always had a working built-in webcam.

Clues, anyone?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options

As asked previously, have you tried to install the latest webcam software specific to your 5349?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• midlothianchump
    Options
    "tried to install the latest webcam software specific to your 5349?" Yes. I have tried feverishly and spent a lot of time. As I've stated, I cannot even LOCATE or IDENTIFY them. Once again I ask, have you looked at my explanatory video here? https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ap6SuR6y_kgdi3L9CzF78YfLsJWy
  • JackE
    Options

Have you tried this free webcam software version from microsoft yet?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/acer-crystal-eye/9wzdncrfj135

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• midlothianchump
    Options
    Common courtesy, if ya please. There's a question answerable with a "yes" or a "no" and I do mind repeating it. Once again I ask, have you looked at my explanatory video here? https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ap6SuR6y_kgdi3L9CzF78YfLsJWy
  • midlothianchump
    Options
    "Have you tried this free webcam software version from microsoft yet?" Software? I'm having a HARDware issue, am I not? The free webcam software appears to be an accessory for a webcam that's already working. Crystal Eye may or may not be what my system has been using. It's less than inspirational, your setting aside my actual question in order to answer what you're supposing I really meant to ask!
  • JackE
    Options

Yes. If device mgr is neither detecting nor otherwise showing webcam errors under imaging devices, then the videocam ribbon cable is suspect. Either the end connectors need to be re-seated a half dozen or so times to clean the contacts or a conductor trace line has fractured usually around the hinge area from opening/closing the lid too often. Video cable 5349 replacements are available from Amazon for less than $20 with free shipping.

Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• midlothianchump
    Options
    Nice of you to affirm having watched my video showing the problem. I'll consider seriously "Either the end connectors need to be re-seated a half dozen or so times to clean the contacts or a conductor trace line has fractured."
  • JackE
    Options

>>> I'll consider seriously >>>

If it were mine, I'd also seriously consider what my colleague Jordan suggested above. Specifically in this case, I'd consider the possibility that the Win10 device manager/detection software are also suspect due to the Win10 installation/cam disappearance coincidence. And I'd probably first check this possibility out before I'd tear my machine apart trying to re-seat the connectors and/or replace the video ribbon. Yup, that's what I'd do first if it were my machine.

Please let us know the outcome of whatever you decide to do with your 5349. Thanks.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• midlothianchump
    Options

Okay, I'd dearly love to "also seriously consider what ... Jordan suggested above," but his posting is cryptic to my repeated study, and I can't discern any clear instruction. He starts off "Sometimes when your computer isn't on the list of supported Windows 10 devices, you lose some functionality," but he makes nothing clear as to HOW to consider (i.e. find out, or DO something about) "the possibility that the Win10 device manager/detection software are also suspect due to the Win10 installation/cam disappearance coincidence." I'd dearly love to "first check this possibility out," but nothing written here appears to instruct me HOW to. Man Sad

• JackE
    Options

>>>I'd dearly love to "first check this possibility out," but nothing written here appears to instruct me HOW to.>>>

I'd hafta go back to Win7 or the Win8x upgrade to check this possibility out if it were mine.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• midlothianchump
    Options

"hafta go back to Win7 or the Win8x upgrade"

How is this done ?

• JackE
    Options

If you cannot find a go-back option for your particular Win10 installation, then you can use the Alt+F10 boot erecovery method as shown in this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2xoMEPfiPQ

This assumes that the hidden Acer erecovery partition in the original hard drive is still intact. Unfortunately this partition may sometimes be compromised by a Win10 installation.

This Alt+F10 erecovery method should return your system to its factory-installed Win7 configuration with an option to save your data if you so choose.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

Yes, sorry about that.  Apparently I muddied the waters with my suggestions.

Suggestion 1:  Use the photo in my previous post to help you learn how to "show hidden devices".  If it reveals any hidden devices, then use the link in my previous post to help you learn how to update the driver on the revealed device.  It's just a suggestion.  I have no idea if it will work....but it's what I would do if I were in your shoes.

Suggestion 2: Go back to your previous operating system if you're not happy with Windows 10.  I gave two links describing how to "go back" and how to restore your PC.

Jack's suggestion of Alt-F10 is pretty good.  Although I'd probably just use the "go back" if it is available.  Microsoft described the instructions on the "Go back"  in the link that I posted and I'm sure microsoft's instructions are much better than mine so I didn't write them.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • midlothianchump
    Options
    Evidently Windows10 is a non-starter for working smoothly with my model Aspire. User friendliness on this web site leaves much to be desired, and I'm out of patience after nearly a couple weeks. Maybe in a while better updates of drivers and the like will be available, but I doubt it.
  • JackE
    Options

Did you decide to stay with Win10 or go back?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options
  • midlothianchump
    Options

I've ordered a new Dell laptop. I'll keep this Aspire for occasional usage, I guess. Nothing I do requires performance better than I had with Windows 98. In fact, I'd LOVE to re-create the performance quality of those days. Extra complexity for its own sake keeps the economy humming, it that it? Smiley Mad

• JackE
    Options

>>> I'll keep this Aspire for occasional usage, I guess. Nothing I do requires performance better than I had with Windows 98.>>>

Heh-heh. This is sorta why I run a virtual Win98SE on top of Win7 host with VMWare's freeware player. Some of the old software & hardware I like and still use will only work this way. Also running virtual WinXP & SuSE Linux for similar reasons on the same machine. And they all communicate with each other via the network.

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ