Aspire 5349 does not recognize usb port

Options
GabrielKuka
GabrielKuka Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

My Acer Aspire 5349 has three USB ports. 2 of them work perfectly, the other one does not send or receive any data. When I plug a device like my smartphone, it charges it but the notebook does not recognize the device. I have tried many other devices like external HDD, Flash Drives, keyboards and mice but they do not communicate with the notebook.

Things I have tried:

1. I have tried device manager on windows for any missing drivers and everything was correct.

2. I have tried installing another OS (Ubuntu 17.04) and the same thing persists.

3. Checked BIOS for any option that might have been disabling the USB port but found nothing.

4. Shutdown my notebook. Removed the battery. Rebooted the device again and the usb port still does not work.

What else can I do to fix this issue?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

reading your troubleshot, probably is an hardware issue and you can't do pretty much.

can be a bad/cold solder or a damage to the USB port.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • mefield
    mefield Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    There was something I read about this being caused by removing and or installing different devices to the port when it's "hot". There was supposed to be a way to go in and reset the port but I couldn't follow it. I have the same problem on mine.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,695 Trailblazer
    Options

If the problem USB port is the single on the left side, it's probably soldered to the mainboard. As IronFly suggested, there may not be much that can be done about it unless you can clearly see and get to a bad joint or break by disassembling the machine. Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• Barko
    Barko Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    I have a related problem.  Did a very dumb thing with the power supply on the external DVD drive.  Did not unplug it  before I plugged into the laptop.  The discreet USB board for the right hand ports shows a burn where the red lead to the motherboard is soldered. The insulation at the end of this lead - on the motherboard - also seems to have been heated by a short circuit.

Does this mean that the entire motherboard is fried?
  • JackE
    Options
    @Barko If the other two ports still seem to work OK, then the mainboard seems to be OK. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Barko
    Options
    Ta, that gives me a clue.  Happened a few years ago. Asked a repair shop and was told the board's gone. Period.  Asked a friend as I didn't want to get my dirty little fingers in there.  No result. Dug it up again.  I will have to re-assemble and see what the diagnostics are.

Both sides of the red lead were still connected.  Usually a short goes open circuit, but it could be other parts may be fried in and cause  a tie down to earth. Will see what isolating the USB board brings.  If I remember correctly, the machine did not boot up.  Will have to see what goes.
    But thanks, I have a base to work on now. Will post
  • Barko
    Options
    Doesn't look too good.  The red power supply light below the touch pad lights up.  Then the blue one next to it on pressing the Power On button.  The screen remains flat black, no response at all.  The hard drive fan spins up but the drive itself has been very quiet even before.  So difficult to tell.  The DVD drive reacts normally, independently and manually.  Seems I'll have to find some diagnostics somewhere to save what I can.

The dry run in dis/assembly was an education in its own though, thank you.
  • JackE
    Options
    @Barko Make sure the screen is turned on with the Fn+F6 toggle key switch. If still no joy, try to HDMI out to a TV. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ