Aspire 3810TZ Touchpad Left Click Issue

aceuser
aceuser Member Posts: 10 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello All,

I am not sure what changed recently, but when I click on the left button on the touchpad, it opens the menu options that should show up when you right click. The right click button functions as normal. (So basically, at the moment, both the left and the right click do the same thing.) For example, if I have the desktop/home screen in focus and I click on the left mouse button, I get the standard menu: View, Sort By, Refresh Paste etc.

I tried going to settings and changing the 'Primary' button option and also tried the 'Switch Primary/Secondary Button' option; did not help. I also tried to look for updated drivers; no luck.

Please note: I am NOT using an external mouse. I am talking about the one long button at the bottom of the trackpad.

Any suggestions?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

Is it still running the factory-delivered Windows version? If yes, what is it? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• aceuser
    No. It came with Win 7; I upgraded to Win 10. But I am 95% sure the issue existed even before the OS upgrade.
    Thanks.
  • JackE

Does Device Mgr show any device driver issues? If none, what happens when you turn the touchpad off for a few minutes, then turn it back on? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• aceuser

No issues reported by Device Manager. Tried turning the touchpad on/off - did not help.

Thanks

• JackE

Do you also have an external mouse if needed? If yes, go back to Device Mgr. Under mice, uninstall the synaptics driver. Exit Device Mgr. Shut down Windows. Power off. Cold boot the machine and let Windows detect the touchpad and search for the best driver. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• aceuser

I don't have an external mouse but pretty adept with keyboard navigation/shortcuts Smiley Happy

I uninstalled the Synaptics driver; confirmed that it was uninstalled as my touchpad stopped responding. When I restarted, the touchpad became operational again; but the issue still exists!  

• JackE

>>>When I restarted, the touchpad became operational again; but the issue still exists!  >>>

Did Windows actually seem like it was doing a websearch for the best driver? Or did the touchpad just start working again on rebooting? If the latter, was it a full power off cold re-boot? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• aceuser

The touchpad just start working again; did not seem like Windows searched for any drivers. So here's some things I've tried so far:

1. Uninstall driver from Device Manager > Prompt said 'Computer should be restarted before hardware changes can take effect. Do you want to restart now?'> I said Yes> When the laptop restarted, the touchpad was operational, but issue existed. Windows did not seem to search for any new drivers.

2. Uninstall driver from Device Manager > Prompt said 'Computer should be restarted before hardware changes can take effect. Do you want to restart now?'> I said No> Shutdown the laptop from the start menu, using keyboard controls. Turned on the laptop after a few minutes (cold boot). When the laptop restarted, the touchpad was not operational. Went to Device Manager and 'Mice and other Pointing Device' was NOT listed. Went online and downloaded the driver for Synaptics TouchPad. Tried installing it, but got an error saying driver already exists. Went to Settings > Program and Features and uninstalled Synaptics Pointing Device Driver. Restarted the computer. At this time the touchpad was still not operational. Tried re-installed the driver; installed succeeded. Restarted the laptop. Touchpad became operational; but issue still exists. At this time, I see the 'Mice and other...' in the Device Manager and also, the Synaptics Pointing Device Driver shows up in Program and Features.

Thanks.

• JackE

>>>Went online and downloaded the driver for Synaptics TouchPad>>>

OK, I assume you mean the Acer download. So, in Device Mgr have you tried to choose the 'update driver' option yet to let Windows do the web search? It may respond that the latest driver is already on your machine. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• aceuser

Correct, it says the best driver already exists.

• JackE

>>>I am 95% sure the issue existed even before the OS upgrade.>>>

From the tests you've done so far, I'm 95% sure it's a Win10-specific driver issue or lack thereof. Meaning I'm only 5% sure it's a button hardware issue.

If it was my machine that was already changed to Win10, I'd probably first be tempted to try a generic Win10 update at the synaptics site  http://www.synaptics.com/resources but creating a restore point before doing so just in case.

If the generic synaptics update is a disaster, I'd then try to update back to Win7 from the hidden win7

recovery partition (assuming it's still intact after installing Win10). Only then could I be 100% sure that it is or it is NOT a  button hardware issue.

Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• aceuser

I tried option 1 you suggested. While the generic synaptics update was not a disaster, it did not fix the original issue. The good thing is I got a more recent version of the driver from the Synaptics site; however it did not seem to help. The left click is still behaving the way it was. One drawback I see is: (and I don't exactly know when it started happening - but of course it was after I started messing with the Synaptics driver) the Function key has stopped working, lol! I am not talking about the Function Keys on the top - F1, F2..F12. I am talking about the Fn key that's between  Ctrl and Windows keys. Previously I used to change the volume using Fn+Up/Down button. Now when I do it, I am unable to control the volume. When the desktop is in focus, I can see the cursor move from one icon to other when I do Fn+Up/Down. Anyway, I do not intend to spend more time on troubleshooting this Smiley Sad

I have one general question to ask though - when I tried to install this newer Synpactics driver from the site, I got an alert saying driver already exists, remove it from the Programs list. So I went to Programs and Features and uninstalled it and the Synaptics entry disappeared. Then I installed the newer driver.  I do not see Synaptics in the Programs list anymore. Why? I think it kind of makes sense, because, it is a 'driver' and not a 'program'. But if that's the correct reasoning, then how come it showed up in the Programs list earlier? And why would it be at two place - In the Device Manager and Programs list?

Thanks.

• JackE

>>>Function key has stopped working>>>that's between  Ctrl and Windows keys.>>>

This might be relevant. Sounds moe like hardware contact issues now. How about trying some of the other Fn+ hotkey combos. You may need to vacuum or blow the debris and crumbs out from the contacts under the keypads. You can help coax things out from under them with a soft bristle cosmetic brush. Or you may need to re-seat the keyboard connectors a half dozen or so times to clean the contacts. Or a new keyboard. For that matter, you may need to do the same things with the button board. A new keyboard AND a new button board cost less than $30 with free shipping from ebay. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• aceuser

I just installed this new keyboard like a week ago Smiley Happy and I have not dropped anything yet. I can still try to remove this keyboard and air blow it; to see if it helps. Yeah, none of the other Function combinations work. Although I have a feeling the Synaptics driver and this Function key issue is related. I did read about it online.

• JackE

>>>I just installed this new keyboard like a week ago>>>

Hmmm? So why did you replace the keyboard? Crumbs? Missing key pads? Or something else? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• aceuser

Had spilled soda so the number keys were sticking; and also the left Shift key had come off.

• JackE

>>>I am 95% sure the issue existed even before the OS upgrade.>>>

>>>Had spilled soda so the number keys were sticking; and also the left Shift key had come off.>>>

How sure are you that a soda had never been spilled on the touchpad board buttons before the OS upgrade? 8^) Might be worth replacing the button board or at least re-seating the connectors a few times if you haven't tried it yet. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• aceuser

Fairly sure. But I guess I can try re-seating the connectors. Can you please provide instructions (or link) on how to do this? 

• JackE

I haven't run across any really good instructions but you can get the service manual PDF by googling "3810tzg series service guide" with the quotes. From what I've seen the cover below the keyboard has to come off in order to get at the connectors between the mainboard & button board. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ