Apire E5-571-5552 touchpad does not work on power up

caverspencer
caverspencer Member Posts: 9 New User

My touchpad does not work when powered up.   I have to attach a wired mouse and go into device manager to disable and re enable to get it working.  Next time the laptop sleeps or gets powered off it does not work again.  

I have the latest driver and I have also tried the power setting of not allowing the computer to turn off the device to save power. 

suggestions??

Answers

• GuruAid-CS
    GuruAid-CS Member Posts: 467 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

In this case, you can try reinstalling your touchpad drivers and see if that resolves the issue. You can do this by following the steps below:
    1. Click "Start" and go to "My Computer" (or Computer). Click "Manage".
    2. In the Computer Management window that comes up, go to "Device Manager" located on the left side of the window.
    3. Click the + sign in front of "Mouse and other pointing devices".
    4. Right-click the device listed below Mouse and other pointing devices and select "Uninstall".
    5. Click "Ok". This will remove the device from your computer.
    6. Now, restart your computer. Windows will automatically detect and install the drivers for your touchpad.

The following link can be useful:
    http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3179/~/enable-or-disable-the-touchpad-of-an-aspire-one

Hope this will help you.

• caverspencer

It worked for a minute as usual   now its not working again. 

I get the same  message:

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

The device failed the SET_POWER command.

It happens when it sleeps I think.  If I either close the lid  or press the power button then come back to the computer after any length of time when windows come up the mouse pad or puttons work.   In other words every single eveing I have to unistall and reinstall.

frustrating having to go unplug the mouse from the other computer and try to operate it on the couch and go through the nosense of unistalling and reinstalling every single evening.  

What a piece of junk!

• GuruAid-CS

You may need to check and delete any hidden devices that may be present in your computer. To do this, you can follow the steps below:
    1. Go to Device Manager. To do this, you can follow the steps mentioned in the links below:
    For Windows 7/ Vista:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/open-device-manager#1TC=windows-7
    For Windows 8.1:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/where-is-device-manager
    2. After you have opened Device Manager, click on "View" menu and click "Show Hidden Devices".
    3. Now, from the list of devices displayed in Device Manager window, navigate to "Mice and other pointing devices" and expand the section by clicking +.
    4. Now, uninstall one or more ghost/ hidden devices (if any) present under Mice and other pointing devices. If you are able to detect which all devices you are not using, you can uninstall them by right-clicking one device at a time and selecting "Uninstall". If you are not able to decide which of the listed devices are ghost/ hidden, one thing you can remember is that the icon of ghost/ hidden devices is lighter and transparent. If you find any such icons, you can uninstall the respective devices.

Once you have uninstalled the ghost devices, try reinstalling the touchpad drivers by following the steps mentioned in the previous post and see if that resolves the issue.

• caverspencer

tried that,  it worked for about 2 days.   Still the same thing.    

Now every time I log in I remove all the ghost devices and the one with the error,  then I scan for changes and of course it work until the next time I open up the laptop. 

This is getting really old.    Does anyone have any ideas?

What is the ELAN?   that is completely missing now.   I thought I read somewhere about installing a new one or something???

• GuruAid-CS

As the issue still persists, it is recommended to contact nearest Acer service center for further assistance. To do this, the following link can be useful:
    http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact

• Elan touchpad and its driver, it makes the touchpad work properly

• thewinnipegjets
    thewinnipegjets Member Posts: 1 New User

I have also been having this issue since day one. Lost the receipt from best buy and dont want to give it to them for 3 weeks for them just to send it off to Acer anyways.

This is BS. Its a known issue......fix it Acer.

Never buying your products again.

• member-20150301
    member-20150301 Member Posts: 5 New User

Have tried everything to fix this and have two of these laptops, easily the worst purchase I've made in decades. Updated to the latest Synaptic drivers (you have to change Win 8.1 startup settings to allow for unsigned drivers), turned off power settings in Device Manager of the touchpad driver to not allow it to enter sleep mode, changed windows power management settings so that nothing happens when closing the laptop lid. Nothing fixes the problem of the driver corrupting.

BUT.... on one of the laptops I've set the power management settings to never allow it to sleep and the touchpad driver hasnt cratered and failed in over 2 weeks. So that seems to be the fix for now.

This is all on Acer, it's a hardware issue. They are ignoring the problem when they should be contacting all buyers and either offering refunds for defective devices or replacing these abominations with something of greater value that works.

So with no sleep mode at all I can look forward to the batteries dying in about 2 years. When that happens I'll be putting both laptops under the rear wheels of my SUV and work the shifter back and forth for about half an hour, listening to Yanni to calm myself down.  

[edited to comply with guidelines]

• member-20150301

You know what guys? As further proof Acer is ignoring this problem, all one has to do is google the sheer number of threads about this. There are countless, and googling 'Code 43 Touchpad' always provides tons of hits with, you guessed it, Acer.

They're ignoring this and it's clear they don't have a solution. If they did it would be front and center on this forum. It doesn't matter how many times you reinstall drivers, apply latest drivers, Elantech or Synaptics, or whatever, the driver will always corrupt when windows 8.1 goes into sleepmode.

C'mon Acer mods and techs.  Or God knows a solution.

[inappropriate content removed]

• electricoffice
    electricoffice Member Posts: 2 New User

I bought one for a customer, and it's been a nightmare. I've done all of the suggestions and ended up taking it to an authorized repair facility. They "reset" it and said it was fixed. Of course it was not. Acer has to provide a fix as it is their product that does not function correctly. People who have purchased this laptop need a resolution to the problem.

• member-20150301

Amen, brother. I'm convinced that there is no solution from Acer. What I see through these threads is that no Acer tech has responded with any sort of answer. I did find another thread for a different model Acer laptop where a user claims he found a fix: He reinstalled Windows 8.1 and installed all the drivers again in a specific order. Are consumers of a new laptop really expected to go through this to repair something that shouldn't be broken out of the box?

I suspect this:

The Acer 'reset' is to reuse their original image that sits on the recovery partition for the machine. Considering the amount of bloatware that comes with the laptop in order to reduce costs for Acer I wouldn't be surprised if this image is not corrupted or is loaded with the wrong drivers.

OR: 8.1 is not compatible with the hardware on these machines, namely the touchpad. Can anyone verify whether these touchpads have the same problem with Windows 7 or Windows 10 Eval?

OR: 8.1 sleep mode is not compatible with the Synaptic or Elan drivers. The only workaround I've found is to turn off sleep mode. The user has to turn off the laptop after use every time.  

Can ANYONE verify whether Windows 7 or 10 will work with these touchpads???

• electricoffice
    electricoffice Member Posts: 2 New User

As with Microsoft Windows issues, the possible solution is downstreamed and becomes the user's problem: save your data and re-install. If I can not get the retailer to take it back (who is also a Acer repair center) then re-install a clean copy it is. Failing that, deal with Acer. Meanwhile, the laptop is unusable going on 3 weeks and counting.

I can see the reasoning behind a class action lawsuits.

You would think that Acer would publish a solution, be it re-mage, clean re-install or whatever. Very disappointing.

• huggy
    huggy Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi all,

I got this laptop for christmas and found both Acer and Microsoft useless in dealing with the issue. So far I have discovered that a clean install does not work, changing the settings to stop the mouse sleeping helps but only sometimes and after having tried numerous drivers from Elan, Acer, Microsoft none work.

Microsoft have previously had an issue with an Acer (Elan) Precision Touch Pad and released a 'Hot Fix', but it won't install on our laptops.

I have also discovered (from others using a different operating systems (Lynux etc.)) that the issue may be related to the fact that more than one driver is needed to run the pad. One makes the pad work, another allows the pad to talk to Windows through a stupid bit of Intel chip architecture (I2C which was intended to be used in mobile phones). 

It seems that say the I2C drivers start up and say 'hey pad where are you' but the pad driver hasn't started yet so it gets no response and thinks "oh well it's failed to start... Code 43 time". Yet it hasn't failed to start, it just started a little to late.

This is proven by the fact that if you use the keys to navigate and restart the I2C driver it sees the pad driver that started late and works.

This is the work around I have been using as I have too much work on to send the **bleep** thing back.

A quick way to get it back up is to push the windows ket and X at the same time. Then use the arrow keys and enter to open 'Device Manager' and sellect the I2C HID driver > DISABLE IT and RESTART IT. Vowla your mouse returns... until it hibernates!

Acer, Intel, Elan, and or Microsoft can fix this with a bit of poking around in the software but form my experience none give a **bleep** about customer service, just shifting units and watching the bank ballene grow. I shall Acer time to develop a fix, then before the warranty runs out if a fix is not found I shall demand a new laptop, equivelent in function or better but different and without the problem. This is evidently a large scale issue and ACER need to wake up before they get an influx of returns in 9 months!

• member-20150301

So I just upgraded to Windows 10 and...... so far so good. All drivers were picked up and the touchpad is working fine. Set the sleep mode to 10 minutes and when lid is closed, 12 hours later the I2C driver has not been corrupted.