Any success in upgrading Acer Aspire 8942G laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Options
Muse2u
Muse2u Member Posts: 2 New User

Answers

• Muse2u
    Muse2u Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I recently performed an upgrade of Windows 7 to Windows 10 on a Dell desktop. The upgrade failed. The rollback failed. A restore of the system drive from a backup failed. A clean install of Win 10 completed successfully but all my installed programs had to be reinstalled.

So I'm a bit paranoid about performing the upgrade on the Acer laptop. The model is not on the Acer list of supported Win 10 computers but that only means that they are not committed to updating drivers to Win 10 requirements, not that the existing drivers don't work.

So has anyone attempted an upgrade to Win10 on this device? What was your experience?

The Acer drive consists of MBR, a Recovery Partition, an OEM partition, a System Reserve partition and finally the Windows 7 partition. I assume after a successfull upgrade, these partitions would still exist but some would be of of questionable value.

Was anyone forced to do a clean Win 10 install? Same question as above. Was there a need to delete any or all of the above partitions before the clean install would complete? What partitions were left after the install completed?