Add fan control for overheating laptops

Options
Drarrhat
Drarrhat Member Posts: 1 New User

I have an Aspire v3-551 laptop with an A8-4500m cpu. The laptop overheats whenever I do GPU intensive processes, such as watching YouTube videos with hardware acceleration on. Can you decrease the temperature required for the fans to reach full power? Right now my laptop crashes before it can even reach that point. The easiest thing might be to release configs for existing fan control programs, such as NoteBook FanControl or SpeedFan.

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Options

Hi Drarrhat,

Unfortunately, it may not be as easy as just adding additional control to the fan. There are certain ratings (for lack of a better word) that have to be inline and allowing the fan to spin at full speed for longer than it's originally designed could cause issues with other components.

I would look at having the unit serviced, particularly the thermal module to ensure that the fan is hitting the right speed and ensure that there is good conductivity between the thermal module, heatsink compound and the CPU. Also, dust build up in the fan can cause noticable issues when it comes to overheating.

Hope this helps,
    Cory