Acre aspire 5742Z won't connect to new router via wi-fi

Dreamfinder
Dreamfinder Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I'm hoping someone can help me. I have had to have a new router fitted, a Virginmedia Superhub 3, and now my laptop will not connect to it. All the other wi-fi enabled iPads, iPhone, Samsung phone, Amazon Dots, Hive, and desktop PC work with it without any problem but my Acer Aspire 5742Z just will not - though I have had it working with the Ethernet cable in place and, after adding the laptop in allowed devices in my routers online settings, it did work via the wi-fi for two days. I don't know what's changed since then but now the Acer either doesn't see the connection at all or will not connect to it when it does. I have tried updating the network adapter and uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it but nothing has made any difference, it still won't connect. Any ideas how I can resolve this, please?

IMG_3185.JPGIMG_3186.JPG

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

>>>I made sure that 2.4Ghz was enabled, as its a dual band router and the laptop only seems to do 2.4Ghz.>>>

Can you check which 2.4GHz channel the router is set for? It may not be spot on.  If so, try a channel immediately above or below to see what happens. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE

>>> I have had to have a new router fitted>>>

Did you or someone else configure the router and its wifi security settings?  Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Dreamfinder

The router was installed and set up by the Virginmedia technician and it wasn't until the next day that I attempted to connect my laptop to the new router. As it would only connect when wired through the Ethernet cable I went on to the routers settings at 192.168.0.1 to try and establish why the laptop wasn't connecting.

I made sure that 2.4Ghz was enabled, as its a dual band router and the laptop only seems to do 2.4Ghz.

Then I added the laptop's MAC address to the allowed devices list and after that the laptop connected successfully to the wi-fi.

It worked ok for 2 days but the next time my husband went on it it wouldn't connect at all.

I have tried removing it from the allowed devices list and adding it again, plus uninstalling the network adapter then reinstalling. Every now and again it seems to connect and I have had speeds from 5gb to 78gb but it will not keep the connection more than a couple of minutes. Sometimes it shows as connected but no internet.

I have tried everything I have come across, all without success. I am really at a loss as what to try now as all I seem to be getting is "Unable to connect to this network".

• Dreamfinder

I have tried working my way through the options but none have worked. 

I downloaded the wlan report but do not know what to do with it.

I did the ping test and that was successful but as I still cannot establish a permanent connection it suggests that there may be a problem with my modem or ISP.

I updated the network adapter driver, though it said I had the latest already.

I've run the Network troubleshooter and tried the reset, release, renew and flush and reset commands. 

I turned off the firewalls and the anti-virus protection (seemed to allow it to connect but hung at Identifying...No internet access).

I tried uninstalling the network adapter driver and restarted but it didn't make any difference and I used network reset to reinstall network devices....all without making a blind bit of difference. I have managed to establish a connection now and again and the speed varied between 5.5 Mbps (most frequent) and 78 Mbps but will not keep the connection for more than a minute or two.

I can connect the laptop to my neighbour's Sky network without any problem but not to my new Virginmedia Superhub 3, which replaced a VM Superhub 1.

• JackE

>>>iPads, iPhone, Samsung phone, Amazon Dots, Hive, and desktop PC work with it without any problem >>>

>>>I can connect the laptop to my neighbour's Sky network without any problem but not to my new Virginmedia Superhub 3, which replaced a VM Superhub 1.>>>

OK.  I too prefer wireless MAC address filtering.  But your 5742z wireless adapter apparently doesn't play well all the time with your new VM 3hub --- or vice versa. 8^) So I'm gonna guess part of the reason is cuz the 5742z's wireless adapter is a lot older than your other devices (not sure about your desktop) AND  to complicate matters your screenshots don't look like Win7 anymore. So, I gotta ask 2 questions. (1) Is the 5742z still running the factory-installed Windows version? (2) What if anything was wrong with the old VM 1hub?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Dreamfinder

1) My laptop has been updated to Windows 10. It worked perfectly with the Superhub 1.

2) Unfortunately the Superhub had different issues that stopped it working - no internet available, then continuously asking for the password, then saying it was the wrong password. Phone support couldn't help so an engineer was sent out to test it, the outcome being that it had given up the ghost and a new Hub was needed.

Hence the installation of the Superhub 3.

• JackE
    Answer ✓

>>>I made sure that 2.4Ghz was enabled, as its a dual band router and the laptop only seems to do 2.4Ghz.>>>

Can you check which 2.4GHz channel the router is set for? It may not be spot on.  If so, try a channel immediately above or below to see what happens. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Dreamfinder

The router was set to Auto so I changed the 2.4Ghz channel to 6, which I'm sure the old router had been set to, and voila....my laptop is now connected and has stayed connected for the last 90 minutes. 

Thank you so much for your help - I was starting to pull my hair out, lol.

I would think that the auto setting explains why I had managed to connect a few times, obviously when it was on a different channel that was almost acceptable to my network adapter. 

Thanks again for helping me out, you're a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

• JackE

Glad you got that problem fixed! Do all the other devices still continue to work OK? Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Dreamfinder

Yes, everything appears to be working without any problems now. Thank you, your help was very much appreciated ????