Acer v3-772G Screen Flicker

Options
JeremyPark12399
JeremyPark12399 Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi, I've had this problem with my Acer Aspire V3-772G notebook for a while now. This issue seems to manifest mostly either when the brightness is less than 100%, or when a load (such as a video game) is placed on the video card. I've read a lot of responces about similar issues on this notebook, but am yet to find a solution. I'm currently running 1.15 version BIOS, but I've tried all other available versions, and that hasn't helped anything. I'm running the latest Intel graphics driver from the downloads section for this particular notebook, and I've also tried about 5 different versions of intel generic drivers. This issue happens both when plugged in, and when running off of battery. I've also tried connecting an external monitor, and none of the issues happen on that screen.

My system is running an intel HD 4600 and a Nvidia GT 750M.

I also uploaded a video I took of the issue to youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPwie7GgUpw

I'm at a bit of a loss as to how I can fix this issue. If anyone can help, I would be most appreciative.

Best Answer

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Options

My suggestions are to try and narrow the problem. I agree that a cable problem may well not explain all symptoms.

If the fault had only appeared on one device then it would have been reasonable to suspect a failure of that particular hardware. In this case, it's safe to assume that both Intel and nVidea hardware are fine as the fault is on both yet an external monitor is fine. That narrows the problem to the panel and the connecting cables. As 'wiggling' has no effect, it is likely the cable is ok. That leaves the panel.

You say you have tried every BIOS available with no improvement. Frankly, in my opinion, there was never any likelihood that changing the BIOS would cure a fault of this nature and I would never recommend that course of action. I would say that a panel failure is the most likely culprit. To be more precise, I would put my money on the associated control circuitry but this would need to be referred to a service department for an accurate assessment.

Answers

• Alan-London
    Options

If an external monitor works without issue then it is almost certainly a problem with either your panel or its cable.
    You can also do a further check by forcing each video source in turn. You can do this by setting a program in the nVidea control panel. First have it force Intel and then force nVidia. If the problem manifests in both, then it's likely to be the panel or its cable.
    You can also try wiggling the screen back and forth slightly to see if that makes a difference at all. If it does, that may well also indicate a cable fault.

• JeremyPark12399
    Options

It tends to do it more on the Nvidia GPU, but it still does it on both. There has also never been any change by moving the screen or adjusting it's position. Also, if it were a cable issue, why would it only do it if the brightness is below 100%, or there is extra load on the GPU?

• vvprad
    vvprad Member Posts: 246 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi...

To resolve this issue, you may perform a BIOS Update

Once it's downloaded, open that folder 'Extract' and run the BIOS update file.

Then restart the laptop.

Note: Prior to starting this process, plug in the AC adapter to ensure the unit does not power off while updating the BIOS.

If my answer helped, click on KUDOS.
  • Alan-London
    Answer ✓
    Options

My suggestions are to try and narrow the problem. I agree that a cable problem may well not explain all symptoms.

If the fault had only appeared on one device then it would have been reasonable to suspect a failure of that particular hardware. In this case, it's safe to assume that both Intel and nVidea hardware are fine as the fault is on both yet an external monitor is fine. That narrows the problem to the panel and the connecting cables. As 'wiggling' has no effect, it is likely the cable is ok. That leaves the panel.

You say you have tried every BIOS available with no improvement. Frankly, in my opinion, there was never any likelihood that changing the BIOS would cure a fault of this nature and I would never recommend that course of action. I would say that a panel failure is the most likely culprit. To be more precise, I would put my money on the associated control circuitry but this would need to be referred to a service department for an accurate assessment.

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,092 Trailblazer
    Options

I am of the same opinion than Alan: Converter board. Unfortunately it's fixed on the LCD panel.

For your information, you have a discret graphic board.

France
  • JeremyPark12399
    Options

Yeah, unfortunately, that was my conclusion too. I didn't really want it to be that, as it would cost over $100 even if I were to replace it myself. Well then, I guess that's what I'll be doing. Thanks for the help guys.

• JeremyPark12399
    Options

Hey, I just noticed something else. If I have a game, and it's causeing flickering then I minimize it, the flickering is still there. Does that still sound like it could be an issue with the LCD? Thanks.

• Alan-London
    Options

I think the most telling observation is that the display on an external monitor is clean.
    Whichever way you look at it, the most compelling conclusion is a fault with the panel. Clearly, I can't categorically state that this is the case but that is the assumption I would go with. I suspect the only way to be absolutely sure is to have an engineer take a look.