Acer site won't recognize s/n or SNID Need info on type and max RAM and HD allowed to upgrade to

Options
EChem
EChem Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Went to the ACER website and error recognizing my s/n or SNID (yes, read them a number of times, tries to enter a number of times, used all 0's, no O's). Just wanted to get specs on this to see max. and memory type and HD info. Can't use the auto detect on site as my HD shot, no boot. Called tech support and when I gave my SNID. the automated system recognized it as it told me it's out of warranty, but then of course I could not talk to anyone that actually knew anything, got transferred to Mohammed at the useless 3rd party tech support. Explained problem. He told me to get a magnifing glass and double check the numbers. Told him I had 3 times already. Said I must be entering them incorrectly. Told him I had entered them 3 times. Told me to try the SNID. Told him I had also done that 3 times as well as the s/n. Told him I just wanted to know max. RAM size, type, and speed I could upgrade it to.

Current RAM is 2 x 1GB, Samsung RAM M470T2864QZ3-CE6 0836, which as near as I could find on a German website is a DDR2, 667 MHz. If so, anyone know if this is true and what is the max. size I can use in my ACER? I need at least 4GB so thinking of at least a 2 x 2GB, or 2 x 4GB(if available, haven't found that one)

I found these on Amazon (would they work?): 

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PC2-5300-200-Pin-Laptop-SODIMM/dp/B000RLPDH2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497207124&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+pc2-5300

Samsung 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 200-Pin Laptop SODIMM

And, if I want to upgrade the HD (it's a 160GB), is there a limit on the size I can use there (thinking of going to a 320 or 500GB)?

I am thinking of fixing this and dedicating this laptop to Volvo's VIDA service software, if cost effective. It was a good laptop.

Thanks.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,631 Trailblazer
    Options

It would help to know your ACER model and number. For example, ACER Aspire XXXX. Or ACER Aspire One AO-XXX. Or ACER Travelmate XXXX. Something like that. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• EChem
    EChem Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Oops, sorry.

Acer Aspire 5735-4774.

s/n LXATL0X010*************

SNID ***************

Purchased at Best Buy

Thanks.

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,631 Trailblazer
    Options

Advertised max is 4GB with 2x2GB ddr2 sodimms. But BIOS may recognise 8GB with 2x4GB ddr2 sodimms. You can go to a much larger SATA3 SSD or HDD but it will run at the slower SATA2 rate. Confirm with crucial's scanner.

As for your SNID not being recognised probably means your system was originally destined for someplace other than the US/ Canadian market. Once you're up and running, you can confirm the system serial number on the M/B at the command prompt by entering the following "wmic bios get serialnumber" without the quotes.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ