Holding power for 2s or 2min does not work

Only power light and batterys light stays on

It started after I changed from Legacy to UEFI with Secure Boot disabled

It is a laptop E1-572-6_BR648

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,592 Trailblazer
    Options

Press & hold the power button till the machine shuts off. About 5 seconds. Press the power button once to turn the machine back on and immediately start tapping the F2 key. Don't wait for the ACER logo screen to appear. Report  back. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mrsiri
    Mrsiri Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

Thank you for the fast reply.

Yet, It didnt work, it does nothing just stays there, frozen

BTW the HDD light blinks and disc spins at start, but then it stops and and the computer gets silent except for the fan sound  <-- This just stopped doing now.

Logo screen appears right after i press the power button, and there is no sound of anything, just the acer logo screen

• JackE
    Options

>>>Logo screen appears right after i press the power button,>>>

You must make sure all power is cut off. Remove the charger. Press and hold the power button again for 5 or 10 seconds to make sure it's totally off. Then start tapping the F2 even before you press the power button. Keep tapping F2 while pressing the power button once to turn it back on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mrsiri
    Options

Just did what you suggested. I disconnected everything( battery and adapter) and held the power button for 10s.

Then I tried powering the PC with only Adapter or battery or both, and the results were the same: The almost instant acer logo screen

But I discovered that my HDD is making a very quiet sound, which I guess is a good thing

• JackE
    Options

>>>it is stuck in Acer logo splash screen>>>

(1) What was the original factory-installed Windows version? (2) What version now? (3) Were any changes or updates made just before the first stuck boot? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Mrsiri
    Options

Factory windows version was 8.1

updated to windows 10 with the latest update ( creators update) <--- clean install

from changes I did some of the changes on this website https://forums.redacted.tv/threads/ultimate-windows-10-gaming-tweak-guide.1205/

and I changed the DVMT Pre-allocated size to 1024mb which I found weird cause I had only 6GB of RAM so I done this for research.( I know that recommended RAM IS 8GB for 1GB VRAM)

And as I stated before I changed from LEGACY to UEFI <--- this is what I think is the problem, cause sometimes earlier I had to hold power button to restart because it got stuck on the acer logo. but this time it didnt help doing it

• JackE
    Options

>>>And as I stated before I changed from LEGACY to UEFI <--- this is what I think is the problem>>>

Absolutely! Sorry I somehow passed over this. Was legacy set from the factory?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mrsiri
    Options

Yes. When I attempted to go to UEFI before, sometimes it just caused a bootloop on my laptop , so I just changed back to Legacy and it got back working.

I was trying to flash the BIOS to see if I can get past the splash screen. But got no luck.The Fn+Esc keys pressing combination did nothing. Are there alternate ways?

• JackE
    Options

At this point, disconnect the battery and charger again. Open the DRAM compartment. Look for a pair of jumper pins labelled R568 or RTCRST. If you find them, short the 2 pins for a second or two to hopefully discharge the BIOS chip and return it to a default state. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Mrsiri
    Options

Opened the laptop, couldnt find the jumper ( maybe is that red component? )

Check the photos I took from my laptop motherboard. See if you could maybe find itP_20171015_213438.jpgP_20171015_213425.jpgP_20171015_213431.jpgP_20171015_213445.jpg

• JackE
    Options

Look for the DDR3 memory modules. Remove the modules. You may see a label or door with the r568 or rtcrst label. If you still can't find the pins, then look for the CMOS button cell battery --- about the size of a quarter or nickel coin. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ