Acer cuts out the power supply at high CPU usage and power button is blinking (Aspire 7750G)

satch59
satch59 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

When the laptop is operating on battery, it works fine, but when it's plugged in and battery is not full or when I am working on some more demanding stuff, it cuts out the power supply and power button starts to blink.

The plug is ok, the problems also doesn't depend on battery or power supply (I've bought second set - no difference). I solved the problem temporarely by limiting the CPU to 25%, but it's hard to work on computer with just 25% of computing power. I suppose, that the ACPI control cuts it out, because of some hardware problems. Do you have any ideas, what to do? Maybe somebody had similar problems with his Acer.

I am operating on Windows 10, but I had this problem from time to time on Windows 7, too. CPU is i7-2630QM.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,435 Trailblazer

Turbo probably cuts in when needed only if the adapter is plugged in. I'd guess the CPU is then overheating.  Accordingly, I'd first try to vacuum the air intake port and use the vacuum's blower attachment into the exhaust port to chase any dust bunnies away that might be lurking inside. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• satch59
    satch59 Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you. I already cleaned the fan from dust, but it's not enough. Unfortunately, it seems to be a problem with overheating. I am going to take my laptop to the service. Maybe I will need to replace fan or maybe CPU is just getting old and there is nothing more, I can do...

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,435 Trailblazer

If it's not overheating from dust clogging the CPU fan & heat exchanger, then they might simply need to be re-pasted with thermal paste to keep the CPU cooler. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ