Acer aspire ES15 - (Aspire ES1-520) Black Screen of death

Keenly
Keenly Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I'm struggling with my laptop. I've got the black screen of death on boot up. I bought it in spain and I've noticed this version has an inbuilt battery so unable to remove static. I've read lots of threads about the graphics drivers on windows update are faulty? Not sure how to even boot it. It's obviously running as fans & lights work. No light from the screen. I looked into flashing the bios but when I've looked at "support & downloads" for my laptop am onlying getting a windows installer (.exe file) so not sure what to do. ANy help would be appriciated.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

You might want to first try to HDMI out to a TV. Might have to try to turn screens on with the Fn+F5 and/or Fn+F6 toggle key combos. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Keenly

thank you. I will try that. SO I press:

Fn+F6 as soon as i press the power button?

• JackE

If the TV screen remains black with no ACER cold boot logo, press either toggle key combo to try to turn it on. Make sure it's a cold boot by pressing and holding the power button for 5 or so seconds till the machine completely shuts off. Then press the power button one time to turn the machine back on. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Keenly

still no luck. No HDMI out either would that be down to the drivers also?

• JackE

OK. Press & hold power button again till the machine completely shuts down. Then try to re-seat any unsoldered RAM modules to clean contacts. Re-test. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Keenly
    Thanks jack, tried that but still nothing. Watched YouTube video. I've checked all the connections, fan, harddrive - other motherboard components. Reseated ram.

Should I just sell it for spares? Cheers
  • Keenly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnrRC0ckJJI

noticed this guy flashes bios but I've gone to website and theres no actual BIOS files other then .exe

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6082?b=1&pn=NX.G2JEB.011

• JackE

If both ram slots are used, try running on only one module in the first slot. If no joy, try running the same module in the 2nd slot. If still no joy, repeat with the 2nd module.  Report results. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ