Acer aspire ES1-111 issues

Mic806
Mic806 Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi all,

I decided to register in this community in order to get some advice and opinion about issues I'm experiencing with this laptop. I'm an owner of an Acer Aspire ES1-111 which I bought a week ago.

Since its first configuration I noticed problems using it with windows 8.1 (its native OS). For example touchpad or keyboard not working properly and, most of all, shutdown problems. In this particular case I was never able to shutdown properly the device, because it either freezed or remained with the power indicator that continued being "on" although it seemed that the system was shutdown. However, in order to really shutdown I had to press power button.

Firstly I decided to reset the system with the integrated software eRecovery but problems remained.

Secondly I decided to do a clean install of the operating system and I tried both Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. In both cases, installation process finished without problems but when trying installing all drivers I experienced freezes and again shutdown problems. I followed an order to install drivers (Chipset first, than VGA etc), but in most of cases I had the aformentioned issues. I also tried disabling "Turn on fast startup (recommended)" to no avail. 

But now comes the strange part...

I finally decided to give a try to Windows 7 and, to my surprise, everything is working fine! I was able to install drivers properly and to shutdown or restart my notebook without problems. Now I'm using it with Windows 7, but, as it is in warranty, I would like to ask you what do you think about this issues. 

I find quite strange that a notebook isn't working properly with its native OS but it's fine with an old OS!! Do you think I should send it to Acer assistance or ask to change it (although, I don't know if I'm still able to pursue this second option).

Thanks for your attention!

Mic

Best Answer

• Mic806
    Answer ✓

I think I found the reason why I was unable to run Windows 8.1 smoothly after a fresh installation. I was trying to install it while setting Bios in LEGACY mode, which is good for OS prior to Windows 8 (like Windows 7, as it was working perfectly) but not for Windows 8/8.1 as it probably cause some issue when installing drivers etc.

So I decided to reset Bios to its original UEFI mode. That was the right decision. Not only touchpad was recognized well during the loading of the bootable usb stick (expecially since Touchpad was set on "advanced", which, in legacy mode, would not work at all) but also because, when OS installation process was completed, I was able to install all hardware drivers properly and shutdown/reboot operations were fully working without issues/freezes and so on.

Hope this information comes useful for other users.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,444 Trailblazer

If it were mine, I'd once again try to Acer Erecover to factory-fresh state. If it still does not work properly, I'd promptly return it to the seller for an exchange or refund.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Mic806
    Answer ✓

I think I found the reason why I was unable to run Windows 8.1 smoothly after a fresh installation. I was trying to install it while setting Bios in LEGACY mode, which is good for OS prior to Windows 8 (like Windows 7, as it was working perfectly) but not for Windows 8/8.1 as it probably cause some issue when installing drivers etc.

So I decided to reset Bios to its original UEFI mode. That was the right decision. Not only touchpad was recognized well during the loading of the bootable usb stick (expecially since Touchpad was set on "advanced", which, in legacy mode, would not work at all) but also because, when OS installation process was completed, I was able to install all hardware drivers properly and shutdown/reboot operations were fully working without issues/freezes and so on.

Hope this information comes useful for other users.

• JackE

>>>So I decided to reset Bios to its original UEFI mode.>>>

Good for you! A question. Was the bios set to UEFI mode when you first got the machine? Or did you change it to legacy when you installed Win7? Thanks.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Mic806

Bios was set to UEFI when I bought the notebook. System was very slow on its first configuration, probably due to all the third part softwares installed. Also the hdd was not partitioned, something I didn't like.

So, after a reset with Acer eRecovery software that didn't solved the slowness of the system, I decided for a clean install with a Windows 8.1 bootable usb stick I had. And, in order to select the boot order desired, I had to change bios mode from UEFI to LEGACY. But, I think that this step was not the best option for a notebook that has a native UEFI bios, as my struggles showed.

So, after some research, I decided to reset bios to UEFI, create a usb bootable stick that was compatible with UEFI (through RUFUS software) and run again installation process of Windows 8.1. And this time, all steps were done automatically and without problems. System is far more usable now. Yes, I lost the eRecovery partition, but I can alwasys use the one that the new installation has created. 

• Protosees
    Protosees Member Posts: 4 New User

Thank you so much. I was having exactly the same issues. I didnt really know about the UEFI thing, i just used legacy mode cause i didnt prepare my usb device for it (i used ntfs) and legacy was the only way to run setup. Struggling with all the freezes for weeks, now did a new clean install in UEFI mode and everything works perfectly fine. THANKS

• parvezl
    parvezl Member Posts: 1 New User

I was succesfully able to install windows 7 on my acer es1-111. but not able to install the WLAN drivers. Can someone help please.

Prvez

• JackE

Does it have the Broadcom or Atheros adapter?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• fooster09
    fooster09 Member Posts: 8 New User

Hi,

Can you please help me to install Windows 7 on Acer Aspire Es1-111M

already windows 10 installed, i tried a lot of things

i have Windows 7 OEM SP1 64BIT

i have used rufus to do a 32 GB USB Flash Drive GPT UEFI with iso of win7(FAT32)

i have put supervisor password to obtain the access to disable the secure boot

i put legacy mode (not working)

i deactivated Network Boot , and its goes enabled by themself on reboot  ???

a lot of days ago i tried, i got the boot on usb windows install goes, and when time to select hard drive, i have driver problem, like ACHI SATA IDE things.

but now im not able to found anymore solution to boot the usb flash drive..

can you explain me step by step (be explicit) how to get installed windows 7 on this laptop please.

Please help me, i am tired of triyng a lot of thing Smiley Sad

• Mic806
    Hi, I am sorry for your issues. This is what I did when I installed windows 7.

- I used a iso copy of Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1
    - I created a USB bootable stick of windows 7 with the Windows 7 USB/DVD tool (you find it by a simple Google search). I recommend you to use it because it create a MBR ready USB bootable stick which is the beat optiom for this OS.
    - I set BIOS on legacy mode by using a password (i think you did this step already)
    - In BIOS I set touchpad in simple mode (or something like that). Anyway, I plugged a USB mouse to ensure the installation process in case touchpad would have not work.
    - Plugged tge USB bootable stick and ran installation process.
    - I installed most of windows 8.1 driver successfully. Some hardware needed win 7 drivers that I found with some Google research and downloaded from other manifacturer. This is a list of the driver you need to download:
    A) TXE_Win7_8.8.1_1.1.0.1089
    B) Realtek_LAN_XPWin7-8-8-1_V787529_833529
    C) Intel_USB3_Win_V30141
    D) Kmdf-1.11-Win-6.1-x64
    E) dotNetFx40_Full_set-up
    F) LaunchManager_Acer_7.00.3006_Win7x64_A (this is the Acer launch manager that opens on windows 7. The One on windows 8.1 doesn't work on win7).

Hope these informations help you!

• fooster09

Hi, 

Thank you for your quick response !

i have already done that the first time i try,

and i get to select drive to windows install after boot usb

and a popup shown need a driver, i think its a thing about the AHCI - SATA or IDE,

but im not sure, im trying again right now with OEM Win iso 

Thank you again !

• Mic806
    Ok. Let we know. Hopefully this is the right try!
  • JackE

Have you tried to install Win7 while in Win10 safe mode without networking?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• fooster09

i get the windows installation launch

i choose language 

and i receive this popup

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nbs3xtaull9uumh/2016-04-22%2018.08.58.jpg?dl=0

here is the picture contained  the error i got 

• fooster09

i start the safe mode without network

i plug usb contain installation of windows 7

doing it with windows 7 dvd/usb download 

and i double clik on setup.exe and nothing happen

i create a dvd from iso of windows 7 with the same software for usb

i connect dvd writer usb drive navigate into it and launch setup.exe and nothing happen again !!

• fooster09

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pnfoww4q0d3qoag/2016-04-22%2018.28.35.jpg?dl=0

there is my hdd inside the laptop (EMMC)

HBG4E 32G

• JackE

fooster9>>>a lot of days ago i tried, i got the boot on usb windows install goes, and when time to select hard drive, i have driver problem, like ACHI SATA IDE things.>>>

The Win7 installation program USB likely doesn't recognize the HDD as it's currently configured in the bios menu. First, check to see what bios menu options might be available for reconfiguring the HDD. Don't change anything before reporting back on what HDD configuration options, if any, are available.

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• fooster09
    The bios dosnt have any settings for change of HDD
  • JackE

OK. Does the bios menu have any options for changing the motherboard/chipset HDD controller? Again, don't change anything before reporting back with what options, if any, you find.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• fooster09

no its not having this option !

• fooster09

i think its not having this option, because he have emmc hdd