Acer aspire 5633 advice on fitting TV card

Techdude
Techdude Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi, I've had an Acer 5633 since 2007, it's the one with the Nvidia graphics and Web cam. For a number of years I have been curious about the umused pci slot next to the cpu I assumed it was for a TV card. This is supported by the fact that there is a tv card driver listed among the drivers for this model. I believe the tv tuner is a Avermedia M115s-b. So I bought one and fitted it, the thing is now what, I presume that I connect a wire to the little wifi antenna style stud fixer. Will a wifi antenna wire do or do I chop it bare the end and solder that to a rf plug. Does the tv card automatically turn on when I channel scan with Microsoft media player or do I need the Avermedia player that I have seen mentiomed in relation to the Aspire 5600u. I have done a few upgrades to this latop, new cpu T7400 2.16ghz, 4 gig memory, changed the awful logitech or bicameral to a crystal eye (much better). Any help getting this tv card working would be appreciated  as well as advice on any other upgrades such as adding Bluetooth. 

I just need to say I have spare wifi antennas, I didn't mean using one of the installed wifi antennas.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Did you get anywhere with the TV card? The only time I had one was on a desktop and I installed it and the driver, connected a cable and it was good.

• Techdude
    Techdude Member Posts: 5 New User

No joy as yet, but i have been busy with other things. I'm on the look out for the proper internal wire and connector (both ends) rather than having to chop a wireless antenna cable to get the press stud connection that the card needs. I would really like to know the various models built around this motherboard and body (of which there are many ) which had a tv card fitted or indeed if the option wasn't available in the UK which countries was it an option. you know there are so many models based around the same hardware it would be nice of ACER to provide a database were you can just put in a part number and all the models it was used in come up. that would certainly make it easier buying bit on ebay.

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

When I look for a manual for the 5633, I get Aspire 5680/5630/3690 Series.

I ran the XP and Vista driver numbers at Acer and they both came up with a Aver M104 card.

http://www.avermedia.eu/avertv/IT/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?Id=368

I doubt if that makes a difference if your card fits, but it also came up it works in the Acer Extensa 5510z.

The cards were probably used with more than 1 MB model.

A program called Acer Arcade was used to control the card.

This search has a few things that might be of interest.

https://www.google.com/search?q=acer+arcade+deluxe&oq=acer+arcade&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.4701j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#safe=off&q=acer+arcade+for+TV+tuner