Acer aspire 5560g Failing to boot after Firmware update

Options
youngtusk87
youngtusk87 Member Posts: 8 New User

Hey guys,

So i recently upgraded my Aspire 5560g to Windows 8.1. I liked it but it seemed to have lost my drivers in the process (my track pad scrolling didnt work and my Dolby audio origram was gone).

I went to  for the drivers and decided to start with a firmware upgrade (9545 for hard disk performance). 

After the computer rebooted, I entered the dreaded Windows 8.1 boot loop. It would say "Your PC ran into problems..." with the bluescreen, then turn off. Then it would attempt the Automatic repair, and fail again, then restart the cycle.

I wasn't able to even get into my BIOS until I cleared my CMOS, now at least I can get into BIOS.

I created a bootable USB for Windows in hopes I could do a clean install, but even when trying to boot from a USB I get the blue Windows 8 screen, "Your PC ran into problems..."

Is there a way I can undo the firmware update, it seems like the culprit, doesn't it? 

Any help appreciated. Thanks

EDIT: I've read that the Windows boot loop may be caused by outdated drivers. Think this could be the problem after I did the firmware update? How can I install the drivers without being able to boot into Windows? Thanks

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

probably something went wrong on updating HDD firmware.

can you check if the HDD is listed on BIOS under SATA devices?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • youngtusk87
    Options

The HDD is listed under my "BOOT" menu, and also listed on the "Information" menu as my HDD. So it's definitely there.

But, even when I remove the HDD and try to boot up using my bootable Windows USB, I still get the blue screen.

• IronFly
    Options

so the HDD firmware is not the issue.

can you try to boot with one stick of ram at time?

• youngtusk87
    Options

Okay, I tried each stick at a time in both slots with the same results. Windows blue screened on both the HDD and the bootable USB.

Isn't it too much of a coincidence that it started acting up after the firmware update?

To be clear, it was a firmware update for the BIOS. The page is here for the Aspire 5560G: http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

I am open to more suggestions, I'd really love to get this working again after dropping the $ on Windows 8

• IronFly
    Options

in my opinion is coincidence, since it will update only the HDD firmware, nothing else.

so if you try to boot without HDD and still having BSOD, i suspect some hardware issue but not the HDD.

BIOS setting on SATA is on AHCI?

• youngtusk87
    Options

First off, thanks for responding IronFly. I appreciate your help.

I have disconnected the HDD entirely with only the USB bootable and it still ran into the blue screen.

My BIOS is configured for AHCI, yes sir. Is there anything else I can try to fix this?

Thanks,

• IronFly
    Options

i can't think to anything else, sorry.

• Fergus2
    Fergus2 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    How did you clear the CMOS? I am having BIOS problems and cannot figure out how to reset it.