Acer VN7-591g cpu temperatures and throttling

Options
diamondfish
diamondfish Member Posts: 13 New User

Hi,

I recently bought an Acer VN7-591g laptop. When the laptop is idling in windows the CPU is around 51°C. When I start CSGO I get temperatures up to 98°C. When it reaches such high temperatures, it throttles down to the lowest possible multiplyer (x8) and the FPS goes down drastically. The temperature almost instantly goes down to around 68°C and then starts to increaste very fast as the CPU goes up in terms of multipliers. It's needless to say that the FPS varies a lot and makes the game annoying to play.

Is this normal? I've read that this laptop shouldn't have problems with throttling. And the temperatures close to 100°C on a regular basis is something I'm not confident with. What are the expected temperatures? I really want to get a stable and good gaming performance out of this laptop.

Please help me!

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Here's what I found.testing and full load (Prime+Furmark) results too in 98°C for the CPU and 88°C for the GPU. not great in my eyes but concerning the form factor still okay.

There's a pretty good review here:

http://www.gaminglaptopsjunky.com/acer-v-15-nitro-black-edition-review/

It wouldn't hurt to get a cooler.

• diamondfish
    Options

That's a very nice link. Thank you.

Ok. So the temperature is fine. But the behaviour of constant throttling? They say in the review that it doesn't throttle, not even for long gaming sessions. But I can start up CSGO and have it throttling within minutes. They say they have the CPU at turbo frequences, over 3GHz. I can't even have 1800 MHz without getting throttles.

Would it be okay to disable BD PROCHOT with ThrottleStop? It won't actually affect either the CPU's or the GPU's "critical" thermal throttling, right? I'm tallking about the max temp 100 degrees celcius for the CPU.

• philetus
    Options

Try advanced power settings,processor power management, and change minimum and maximum power states to 100%.

• diamondfish
    Options

I've tried that. It's the default setting when using the HIGH PERFORMANCE preset.

• philetus
    Options

Other than that the only option seems to be the use of a utility like Throttlestop. I would advise a temp utility running when you use it.

Then we have Throttlestops own warning:

When using ThrottleStop, it is strongly recommended to monitor power consumption at the wall with a Kill-a-Watt meter or similar device and make sure that you don't exceed the power capabilities of your power adapter. Use of ThrottleStop to bypass these throttling schemes is at your own risk and can result in permanent damage to your power adapter or computer or both which may not be covered by your warranty.

I hope it works

• diamondfish
    Options

I've tried ThrottleStop and then everything runs as expected. With no throttling. (turning off BD PROCHOT)

When running prime95, 3DMark etc I reach high temperatures, 90-98 on CPU, 90-94 on GPU, but no throttling.

I'm just not comfortable with these high temperatures, but I guess they are normal and what's expected.

• pspost
    pspost Member Posts: 11 New User
    Options

Hello, diamondfish!

I've read both your threads about VN7-591g, Win7 installation, throttling problem...

What's your opinion about this laptop today, after several months of usage?

- About using Win7, any drivers or software issues (except multitouch absence)?

- Wifi speed

- CPU throttling, ThrottleStop usage

- Spacebar complaints

- Playing games

- Overall opinion

Also interested in replies of other owners. Seems to be very good laptoop for its price, but comments on Internet are  contradictory.

Thanks!

Paul

• diamondfish
    Options

- About using Win7, any drivers or software issues (except multitouch absence)?

The touchpad isn't supported, so no multitouch. I ended up with Win 8. With a few tweaks I think Win 8 is good enough.

- Wifi speed

I have not tested this especially. I got nothing to complain on so far. 

- CPU throttling, ThrottleStop usage

The big issue with this computer. It throttles too much. If you are fine with taking a risk (although a very small one maybe?) of hurting your laptop, you can run ThrottleStop. The CPU stops throttling when you disable BDPROCHOT. I made profiles for batter / plugged in, so it only disables when I'm running on power. I have also lowered CPU MAX usage in the windows power profiles, so the CPU is on a very low clock when on battery.

- Spacebar complaints

I have no complaints so far.

- Playing games

The CPU is REALLY hot. But that is "normal" for this CPU and computer. I've had it sent in for maintenance and service and they said it was normal (ACER Support). Up to 98 at full load. The temperatures of the laptop when you play are fine though. Some areas are pretty hot, but not where you hold your hands or so. 

- Overall opinion

I'm happy with the laptop. The monitor is great, it enables me to use it for games (it's mainly a laptop for work, train travels and so on, so I haven't played on it too much), and it looks really good and have good build quality. Would I have bought it if I knew about the throttling and tempurature issues? I don't know, maybe not. But with throttlestop you get a good looking, price worthy laptop. 

If you are buying it mainly for long, hard, gaming sessions, maybe some other laptop would be a better choice. Casual gaming and work? It's a nice choice.

• pspost
    pspost Member Posts: 11 New User
    Options

Thanks for your answer!

Unfortunately I have some software which doesn't work in Win8 (have tried), and Win7 is a must.

So touchpad is completely unsupported (useless) in Win7, even singletouch? No suitable drivers exist?

I don't play games but use some software which excessively uses CPU and GPU.

Did you try to run laptop under heavy load with disabled BDPROCHOT for quite long period of time? Were there hang-ups/reboots/BSODs or smoke maybe?)

• diamondfish
    Options

The touchpad works, not I didn't get to use the rightside area as scroll, nor did multitouch works. But the super basic functions move and click do work Smiley Happy If you realy heavily on the touchpad, it's good to note that it's not that good. The buttons are part of the touch area, which makes it semi-hard to accurately click.

I did run Prime95 for at least 2 hours, and 3DMark tests with BDPROCHOT disabled. I peaked 98 degrees on all cores or something like that, but no smoke Smiley Wink I haven't had a single hangup.

The worst that have happened is this: I ran Counter-Strike Global Offensive with BDPROCHOT disabled, pulled out the adapter, and the laptop after a few seconds turned itself of. Maybe some safety mechanic or something like that, but after that the laptop's battery was dead. I thought it was broken. But it was just some "voltage left" in the circuits or what to say, because the "battery reset button" made it work again.