Acer TravelMate P453-M "Acer, explore beyond limits"

Options
Riaan_Potgieter
Riaan_Potgieter Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello, I changed the boot in a Acer TravelMate P453-M to UEFI and deleted all the partitions, now the computer gets stuck on the "Acer, explore beyond limits" start screen. Not even F2 works. Any help please?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>I changed the boot in a Acer TravelMate P453-M to UEFI and deleted all the partitions>>>

Three questions. Why did you switch to UEFI BIOS? Why/How did you delete *all* the partitions? What was the factory-delivered Windows version? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Riaan_Potgieter
    Options

JackE wrote:

>>>I changed the boot in a Acer TravelMate P453-M to UEFI and deleted all the partitions>>>

Three questions. Why did you switch to UEFI BIOS? Why/How did you delete *all* the partitions? What was the factory-delivered Windows version? Jack E/NJ

As I understand, Windows 8 install in UEFI, my mistake.

There was a virus on the system which was part of the non-genuine Windows 7 that was installed and no other Windows (especially Windows 8 Pro) wanted to install. I had to do an Active@ KillDisk to get rid of it. I assume it was a rootkit.

The system originally came with Windows 8 Pro. The previous user did not make a DVD backup set. The recovery partition was removed when I received the laptop.

It seems like the UEFI BIOS might have been on one of the primary partitions.

• JackE
    Options

>>>no other Windows (especially Windows 8 Pro) wanted to install.>>>The system originally came with Windows 8 Pro.>>>

OK. Did you use the Acer Erecovery Win8Pro installation media for that particular machine's snid? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Riaan_Potgieter
    Options
    I do not have the "Acer Erecovery Win8Pro installation media" for the machine. Where can I obtain it please?
  • JackE
    Options

If the laptop was from the US/Canada, you can get Erecovery disks or usb sticks at https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/ for a nominal charge. Just plug in the machine's SNID or use the app on the link to scan the machine for the correct Windows version media. If you get a 404 link error, there should be an erecovery button in the upper right hand corner of the link. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Riaan_Potgieter
    Options
    I will contact the local Acer services for the Erecovery media as the US site does not recognize either my SN or SNID.
  • JackE
    Options

Did you also run the scanning APP on the US/Canada site just to make sure? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Riaan_Potgieter
    Options

JackE wrote:

Did you also run the scanning APP on the US/Canada site just to make sure? Jack E/NJ

I cannot get the machine to start at all, only the "Acer, explore beyond limits" screen. Even if I remove the HDD and DVD still no joy. Even if I reset the CMOS it only goes to the "Acer, explore beyond limits" screen. Will I be able to boot with the Erecovery disc under these circiumstances? If it were possible to change to BIOS from UEFI, would that help?

Any hope at all?

• JackE
    Options

Sorry, I forgot the APP can't be accessed by the machine.

I think we're facing 2 main problems. First, the BIOS seems to be doing it job but can't pass it on to a non-existent operating system on the HDD once its job is done. Next, the BIOS has apparently been set to secure boot UEFI mode that won't allow booting from anything but a HDD with an operating system or licensed ACER external media for that particular machine. 

Accordinly, the ACER eRecovery media ***should*** identify the machine as properly licensed and ***should*** overide the secure boot UEFI mode to allow re-installation of a bootable Windows version as it was originally delivered from the factory. If it does not, there a still ways of doing so but are much more involved via Linux commands.

Not really knowing the machine's history, it's hard for me to be any more specific on what other issues you may run into at this point.

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ