Acer Touchpad is acting up.

Options
acloudhoskins
acloudhoskins Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

For about a month or so, my touchpad mouse has been freezing, skipping, and moving all over the screen.  The only thing that seems to work is to press the FN key + F7.  This turns the touchpad off and on.  That at times doesn't even work.  I have uninstalled the mouse driver a number of times, and that has done nothing.  I have ran windows defender, and malwarebytes with nothing showing up.  I have googled and have had no success.  I need help figuring this out.

Thanks,

Anita

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,618 Trailblazer
    Options

What ACER model do you have? Is it still running on the factory-delivered Windows version? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• NotAVirus
    NotAVirus Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hello!

This issue was filed in Legacy Laptops and Netbooks. My solution works for an Aspire R13 (R7-372T), so I'm not sure that it will apply to your issue, but I want to post this solution for anyone else who may be having this issue.

I absolutely love my R13. It is the single smoothest, most energy efficient, best ventilated, sturdiest (blah, blah, blah...) machines I have ever used. However, I have recently had an issue where my touchpad will start acting up, seemingly at random.  It seems like perhaps it is interpreting two finger gestures when there is only one or something strange of that nature, but the cursor will jump all around the screen and zoom in and out of pages and whhatnot.  Super strange.  I have updated drivers, searched for help into the depths of the web, everything.  If I restart my computer, it usually solves the problem.  I was just looking into replacing my touchpad entirely when I had a thought: It seems like my touchpad acts up more frequently when my hands are clammy and mildly moist (gross, I know).  I wondered if it was possible that a thin layer of moisture was forming on the surface of the touchpad and causing it to become overloaded (I'm a software engineer. I realize that this makes no sense.).  On a whim, I grabbed some rubbing alcohol and cleaned off the touchpad.  No more jumpiness.  Again, restarting my machine usually resolved the issue, but this has been working less and less frequently and the jumpiness has been starting more rapidly after startup.  However, until now, I have never been able to make the jumpiness stop without restarting.

Again, I don't expect this to work for anyone else.  I have no idea why it worked and I suspect it to be a complete fluke.  But I have been frustrated by this long enough that I thought I would post my solution here for the benefit of anyone else who's been bothered by this issue.

Best of luck!
    - NAV
  • InfoQubeIM
    InfoQubeIM Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    I have 2 R7-372T and both exhibit the issue at times.
    On both of these, one thing is clear: Issue is much worse on battery than plugged in.
    Also, cleaning the touchpad and/or adding a piece of paper over it helps it quite a bit. It is clearly overly sensitive.

Finally, keeping a space between fingers works best. It seems that the driver / hardware has issues with fingers being close together.

Pierre
  • Yiddzy
    Yiddzy Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    NotAVirus said:
    Hello!

This issue was filed in Legacy Laptops and Netbooks. My solution works for an Aspire R13 (R7-372T), so I'm not sure that it will apply to your issue, but I want to post this solution for anyone else who may be having this issue.

I absolutely love my R13. It is the single smoothest, most energy efficient, best ventilated, sturdiest (blah, blah, blah...) machines I have ever used. However, I have recently had an issue where my touchpad will start acting up, seemingly at random.  It seems like perhaps it is interpreting two finger gestures when there is only one or something strange of that nature, but the cursor will jump all around the screen and zoom in and out of pages and whhatnot.  Super strange.  I have updated drivers, searched for help into the depths of the web, everything.  If I restart my computer, it usually solves the problem.  I was just looking into replacing my touchpad entirely when I had a thought: It seems like my touchpad acts up more frequently when my hands are clammy and mildly moist (gross, I know).  I wondered if it was possible that a thin layer of moisture was forming on the surface of the touchpad and causing it to become overloaded (I'm a software engineer. I realize that this makes no sense.).  On a whim, I grabbed some rubbing alcohol and cleaned off the touchpad.  No more jumpiness.  Again, restarting my machine usually resolved the issue, but this has been working less and less frequently and the jumpiness has been starting more rapidly after startup.  However, until now, I have never been able to make the jumpiness stop without restarting.

Again, I don't expect this to work for anyone else.  I have no idea why it worked and I suspect it to be a complete fluke.  But I have been frustrated by this long enough that I thought I would post my solution here for the benefit of anyone else who's been bothered by this issue.

Best of luck!
    - NAV
    Thank you so much!! I can't believe that worked! My touchpad is working perfectly now!
  • InfoQubeIM
    InfoQubeIM Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited May 2020
    Options
    Yes cleaning the touchpad does help a lot. In this pandemic, we wash our hands constantly which helps too.
    The touchpad doesn't  like oil and humidity
    But, after months of use, on 2 devices, I can confirm that the issue is essentially gone in these 4 cases:
    1- on AC power
    2- when the computer is on your lap
    3- when the other hand touches the PC, say on the deck, just left of the touchpad
    4- when the fingers are well separated

Edited the content to hide personal information
    Acer-Samuel