Acer Timeline 4820TG - How to switch switchable graphics

Options
Youkuris
Youkuris Member Posts: 1 New User

I've been using my Acer TimelineX 4820TG. It has 2 switchable graphics cards, ATI Mobility Raedon (1GB) and Intel HD Graphics (1.1GB). I want to switch my Raedon to my Intel graphics card, but how? If it automatically changes the graphics cards then, is there a way that I can permanently make my Intel HD Graphics card my used graphics card?

[Using Windows 10 Home 64x with Intel Core i5 Processor]

Answers

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer
    Options

Hello and I am not sure how well it is working in Windows 10 but if all the update was done with your older software intact then there should be a switch that you access in Windows very easy.

The Aspire 4820TG has switchable graphics. This means that the user can switch between an integrated GMA HD graphics chip and the dedicated Radeon HD 5650 graphics card. Switching between these two is incredibly easy: right click on the desktop, pick "Configure switchable graphics" and choose the desired graphics unit. This method never fails and takes at most a few seconds. Thanks to this simple technology users can now switch between graphics cards so as to optimize either performance or battery life. For example, when using programs, which are not graphics intensive, the user can switch to the energy-saving GMA HD chip and extend the battery life. The HD 5650 graphics card can be used for more demanding programs such as games. However, one fault of the design is that the switch can not be done while certain programs are being run. Like playing a game and wanting to change from the ATI to the GMA you would have to leave the game before you could make that change. Kind of like when you start a game and forgot to plug in your headphones. Has to be pluged in before the game starts...

I will say if you are running Windows 10 and able to with the card you have now I would leave it. If you want to update to the other Intel graphics sadly I think the GMA chipset isn't 10 Compatible. There may be a driver that can be ran but last I heard would need to be in TEST mode. Sadly not all good computers are able to upgrade to windows 10. 

Hope this helps answer your question some.

James 

Let us know how you do with your change of Graphics for others with your types of computer may be able to get the info they need