Acer Synaptics Touchpad Problem on Acer Aspire 5560G

martinn112
martinn112 Member Posts: 32 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi, i have this issue with my Laptop, when trying to play games. So whenever i use the keyboard (W,A,S,D Or any key) I can still move aroudn the cursor with the touchpad but i cant use the Left click buttom or the single tap funcion but i can right though and after a few seconds of not using the keyboard it works again. And i did try disable Smart sense, it didnt work.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer

Has this always been an issue? Or did it just start happening recently for no apparent reason? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• martinn112

Im not sure, it's quite a new installation of windows 10. I think it was from the start when i installed windows 7 or windows 10, i can also mention that it has a problem if i clean install windows 10 and shut it down it wont shut comeplety off but it works fine if i install windows 7 and then upgrade to windows 10. On windows 10 there is a issue as well with boot where the graphics driver cause the system to hang at boot for 3 0sec with a black scree nand then come to login, but that doesnt bother me that much, it's more the mouse pad issue.

• JackE

>>>Im not sure>>>

Win10 is notorious for causing annoying hardware issues on older machines for which updated drivers are no longer being written. The only way to determine if the touchpad issue is either hardware- or driver-related, is to re-set your system to factory-fresh state while optionally saving your data. If your hidden eRecovery partition is still intact, you can follow this video for a system re-set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2xoMEPfiPQ

If the eRecovery partition is no longer functional or corrupted, you can purchase an eRecovery stick or DVD specific to your 5560G machine for about $20 from the online Acer store.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• martinn112
    I dont have that partitipn since i put a new harddrive in it. And i dont think it's an issue with windows 10 or driver. I think it's feature thats enabled by default, since it behaves like an anti-missclick when typing. It only happens if i use any keys on the keyboard the left click stops working on the touchpad only, not on an external mouse. Right click still works fine on both the touchpad and external mouse.
  • JackE

If you check Device Manager's mouse & other pointing devices folder, I think you'll find a Synaptics touchpad driver is indeed needed by the operating system. But again the installed driver may not be fully Win10 compatible.

All I can suggest (besides re-setting the machine with ACER eRecovery media) is to either have Device Mgr autosearch for an updated, most-recent or best driver it can find --- OR --- uninstall the existing driver and let Windows re-detect the touchpad and install a driver on rebooting.

If these Device Mgr methods still don't work, then I'd still NOT conclude it's a hardware issue and start messing with the touchpad/keyboard hardware until confirming that the same issue exists after re-setting to a factory-fresh state.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• martinn112
    I got the driver installed but i can try reinstalling the driver. I have been looking in the settings and found a setting called smartsense. If i enable that it work at all when keyboard is used, but that was disabled already. But i did have other laptops with Smartsense/Palmdetech or whatever it's called BUT it wasnt editable so they were stuck with it on and was pretty annoying. But i read on a forum that i can look in the registry for something under Synaptics with palm in it nd set it to 0 and i did that and it worked. But i dont think this is the right setting here. Could there be a registry with that particular function to disable the anti click im having issues with ?
  • JackE

>>>But i read on a forum that i can look in the registry for something under Synaptics with palm in it nd set it to 0 and i did that and it worked. But i dont think this is the right setting here. >>>

I'm confused. If it worked then what's the issue? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• martinn112
    Sorry if i wasnt clear enough, that worked on another laptop with a synaptics touchpad. But it doesnt work on the laptop that im having trouble with. And on the other laptop it just didnt show the smartsense setting and was enabled by default but the other laptop doesnt has this issue with the left click when using the keyboard.
  • JackE

Still Win10 in both cases? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• martinn112
    Yes, both running windows 10 64 bit.
  • JackE

>>>Could there be a registry with that particular function to disable the anti click im having issues with ? >>>

Possibly. But more like looking for a needle in a haystack. And possibly adversely affecting other entries. I suppose you could start by looking for "synaptics" in all the registry entries. Then change values, delete keys etc that seem related to the issue. But I'd first export a copy of the existing registry in case you get into trouble. Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• martinn112
    I have done this a little bit but without sucess. I will continue doi g this but i can always reinstall the driver and it should fix the entires again. And if it ruins anything i dont really mind reinstalling since i might do so due to some drive fragmentions.
  • JackE

By 're-installing the driver' I hope you mean by letting Win10 Device Mgr(not you) search the web for, choose and install the best driver. Understand that the "best" Win10 chooses doesn't necessarily mean that it'll be fully Win10 compatible. And then I suppose you'd still always have the option of settling the issue once and for all with an ACER Win7 factory re-set stick or disc. 8^) Good luck. Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• martinn112

Could that maybe be one of my problems? I always thought it would be best to go look at the manufacturer of the computers site for drivers instead of windows finding it. Also for example there was a modem driver that windows couldnt find but i found on the driver site by Acer. And also i cannot find the right driver for the GPU or APU idk which one but it got a bug. So if i let windows find it, it gets a black screen for 30 sec at boot every time (btw, this doesnt happen on windows 7 only 10) And if i go to amd's site it tells me to find it at windows update(and i guess thats the APU), and the gpu(i guess) i cannot install AMD Crimson Beta as it says that i can it will only install CCC.

• JackE

Maybe---sometimes it works. Maybe not---sometimes it doesn't. As an example, I got a garden-variety usb networking device that wouldn't play nice with Win10. Even with its latest, so-called Win10-compatible driver from the mfr. So I uninstalled that driver, re-booted and let Win10 search for what it thought was best but got similar results. So I uninstalled again, re-booted and let Win10 search again ***but this time without web access***. Bingo, success! The successful driver selected was buried in a system archive directory already on the HDD with a 2006 WinXP era date!  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• martinn112

I just tried uninstalling from control panel and let windows find it, but it did not work, same result. Should i consider trying out a windows 7 installation and see if the issue is still there? And maybe try the method you got working ? Without network?

• JackE

Can't hurt to try it first without the network.

If it also doesn't work then, yes, try the 5560G-specific Win7 ACER factory re-set media, not a generic Win7 installation. If a factory re-set still doesn't resolve the issue, then it's almost certainly a hardware issue. At that point you can then decide if you want to at least try to clean the touchpad and keyboard connectors by re-seating them a half-dozen or so times --- not a trivial task due to the disassembly steps involved.

Because of the other little Win10 quirks you mentioned that don't bother you as much as this touchpad issue, I think the factory re-set has the best chance of a fix.   

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• martinn112

I did find the original harddrive with the original installation i believe, but have been in use for a few years, i can try that, but there is still some files on it that i will need to keep.

• JackE

Great. If the hidden partition on the old drive is still intact, the ALT+F10 eRecovery method gives you the option of doing a re-set while saving your personal HDD files. If the factory Win7 removes the touchpad annoyance, then you can decide if Win10 is worth being annoyed by it. 8^) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• martinn112
    I will try that at some point and report back, but if it dowsnt work im still kind og thinking that it wont be a hardware failure even though it could be since the laptop is quite old, since it seems kind og like a feature to make sure that utou click random places while typing.