Acer Recovery Management doesn't start

Options
tonyj
tonyj Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I just bought an Aspire E 15 Touch running WIndows 8.1 64 bit.

Installed all Windows updates then tried running Acer Recovery Management. It would not start at all, no window, no nothing.

Tried reinstalling it off of a USB flash drive with application backup I created from a friend of mine with exactly the same laptop, that didn't work at all.

Did a System Refresh, that didn't fix the problem either. Acer Recovery Management still does not start up.

Checking the event viewer, I see the following error everytime I click on Acer Recovery Management:

-System

-Provider
   [ Name]Application Error

-EventID1000
   [ Qualifiers]0

Level2

Task100

Keywords0x80000000000000

-TimeCreated
   [ SystemTime]2014-12-27T00:49:47.000000000Z

EventRecordID861

ChannelApplication

ComputerOvidiu

Security
-EventData
   eRecoveryUI.exe
   5316bf9c
   KERNELBASE.dll
   532954fb
   c000041d
   0000000000005bf8
   ad8
   01d0216f02069493
   C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer Recovery Management\eRecoveryUI.exe
   C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
   41414ab2-8d62-11e4-8262-f8a963e7d93b

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

If you just bought it you can take it back and exchange it or get your money back.

• tonyj
    Options

I know, but who wants to do that, right?

Anyways, I backed up all my data and did a System Reset, and Acer Recovery Management does start up, however, I haven't installed all of my Windows Updates yet, and I don't have a big enough flash drive now, so I'm wondering whether it will still start up after I install all those updates.

It was nice that System Reset in Windows 8.1 gives you the option of NOT wiping your second hard drive partition, so one can safely move all of ones personal files on the secondary partition while the main one gets wiped.

Also, you would not believe just how ridiculous Acer is about Acer Recovery Management: they WON'T give you a download link so you can reinstall it for yourself, they also said that if they send you free recovery media it WON'T include Acer Recovery Management, and, also, they don't tell you that anyone else with an Acer Aspire (recent) laptop can make an application recovery flash drive for you off of which you can reinstall Acer Recovery Management and not need to download it from somewhere, provided the application actually does work and does not give you the above error.

I did reinstall it previously, but still had that error.

I will update this again after I install all my Windows Updates to let you all know if it still works.

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Make your Recovery CDs. If something goes wrong with your Recovery partitions you will be able to reinstall them again.

• tonyj
    Options

I just said I don't have a big enough flash drive to do that, or DVDs.

I haven't installed all Windows Updates yet, I'll see if it will still start after that. (in terms of Acer Recovery Management that is)