Acer One S1003 (ATOM) : linux(mint/ubuntu) can be loaded in this ?

IceTea
IceTea Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi, I was looking at this hybrid laptop, and there was some review at shopping site, that said linux distros can not be loaded in this laptop normally, due to UEFI bios. even if it can be tried by tweaks, it doesn't function properly.

I am interested to know, if it really is the case, i.e. it does not support linux normally. Kindly let me know, I was looking forward to purchase soon.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer

Doesn't seem normal to me. Can you post a link to this shopping site review? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE

For some reason I don't see an April 29th review? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• IceTea

Tinkerer

Should be the first one there in the first link, with title "Great Tablet at This Price".

Anyways, this is what it said :

This product tick all the boxes for the tablet I was looking for and also has many features which brings it on par with many laptops. Got this deal at 10% discount.
    Specs: (which might be missing in description)
    * It has IPS LCD screen with pretty good viewing angles. Colors seem to saturate sometimes though.
    * The processor is x5-8350 which was launched in 1st quarter of 2016
    * System architecture is 64 bit but installed OS is 32 bit
    * The weight is mentioned to be 1.2 kg but is feels much heavier because of the compact design
    * Design is awesome. Although completely plastic, it seems and feels premium
    * The HDD is technically an SSD(no moving parts only silicon) but people prefer to call it eMMC because it is embedded on the board and has very different usage and speed as compared to the traditional more popular SSD's
    Pros:
    * Good screen, decent brightness and viewing angles
    * Long battery life even when wi-fi is turned ON, 6.5-7 hours with continuous web browsing (sometimes 8)
    * Really nice keyboard. Although the size is reduced for the keys but it is not difficult to type. Trackpad is also great
    * Touch on the screen is accurately detected almost every time
    * Display mode has come very handy to me while giving online tests
    * Sound output from the 3.5 mm is also manageable
    * The OS is desktop OS so all desktop apps are available here also
    Cons:
    * Tablet is on the heavier side but still it is because of the large screen
    * Sound of the tablet is pathetic. My Boat headphones were louder than it when they were used as speakers at 75% of the max volume level
    * It has InsydeH2O UEFI BIOS which makes trying different operating systems difficult and impractical in many cases
    * Browsing webpages is fine until some heavy sites are loaded. Firefox starts to hang a lot when browsing tech2 or techradar although they are not much heavy sites. Chrome is not suitable as it is RAM eater
    * And as anyone can tell you the case with such tablet laptops: Both cameras are pathetic
    * Charging time is very long with the provided 2A charger 4-5 hours
    * Don't know maybe the company wanted to make a fancy charger and ended up making a meaninglessly complicated charger
    * Could have used more RAM. Task manger memory consumption stats give little heart attack with every launched program
    Also need to know:
    If you are planning to try android on this tablet then don't bother buying. This tablet is just fine with windows. With android x86 ports it has many problems (I tried many EFI's) like Remix OS Grub missing, Pheonix OS (Lollipop no boot and Nougat grub missing), Bliss x86 (using Pheonix nougat) keyboard and touch not working. Android x86 6.0 r3 was the only working OS among these that also with no wifi, no bluetooth, no G sensor, no battery monitor (stuck on 0%) and may be some more problems. Although USB Port was working, keyboard and touch was great. Battery consumption by android x86 was so fast the tablet barely got 10% charge in 2 hours.
    If you are loading heavy websites, try using green browser. It is more lenient on RAM and processor than firefox.
    Changing OS to 64 bit won't make much change because the system is majorly having 2 GB RAM as bottleneck

• JackE

These alternate OS comments are nothing unusual about or peculiar to the S1003. They can be applied to just about any factory-installed Windows machines whether made by ACER or any other mfr --- particularly with so-called cloudbook laptops. All the hardware drivers have been certified & warranted to work ****ONLY FOR THE FACTORY-DELIVERED OPERATING SYSTEM***. Nothing else. All hardware drivers might or might not be available or work properly under other operating systems including earlier Windows versions. Because of this, I usually don't install alternate OS except as virtual guests under the host factory-delivered operating system. For example, SuSE linux, Win98SE and WinXP are virtual machines on my netbook.   Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• IceTea

Tinkerer

Thank you for your insight, I understand the factory supplied os could be the perectly matched os for the hardware, and virtual box is an interesting way to use different operating systems.

Still, I was looking for an actual user experience, who could have tried linux directly in this laptop.

• JackE

I think you're more likely to find actual S1003 user experience on the Linux forums. If I was in the market, I'd probably try Mint since it did come factory-installed on similar models and is quite popular with those running lightweight Atom systems. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ