Acer Iconia 6120 (6886 really) and Windows 10 touch capabilities

Options
Xairen
Xairen Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi all!

I've google-fu'd this topic and found nothing that's remotely close to what I'm having problems with, so here I am.

Hopefully, there are other owners in here who can shed light in my situation, as I'm currently at a loss.

So here's my situation:

1. Laptop was dead for years. I figured it was the HDD so I replaced it with a SSD and used the recovery disks.

2. Windows 7 from recovery disk and updates done, laptop was stable with some quirks:

• Acer Ring - some programs do not work (Social Jogger being the main one)
  • The touchscreen occasionally goes haywire but can be solved by a Sleep & Wake Up combo.

3. Updated to Windows 10, re-installed drivers. Laptop is stable with some major drawbacks:

• Acer Ring doesn't work at all. If I call it, it will come up but I can't select any of the software.
  • Top touchscreen tapping function is incosistent. I can't double tap, I can't tap to select items in the desktop BUT I can tap to follow links in a webpage, perform the flick functions. Pretty much useless because the inconsistencies are not intuitive.
  • Bottom touchscreen doesn't work at all unless I'm using it as the virtual keyboard. If I send apps/programs to it, I can't interact with them unless I use a mouse. If the keyboard is off, I see an extension of my desktop and any touch I do on it is reflected inversely in the top touchscreen.

4. Performed Windows 10 updates. Laptop is unusable.

• Bottom touchscreen doesn't work at all even after re-installing drivers. Laptop is pretty much useless at this point.

I can go back to Windows 7 since that's the most stable one at this point but what I want to do first is go back to #3 and have the touchscreen behave as it should because Windows 10 is supposedly the best one I could want for a touchscreen laptop.

I hope fellow owners can help me make this majestic R&D beast work properly in Win10!

Cheers!

- Xairen

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,582 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>Windows 7 from recovery disk and updates done, laptop was stable with some quirksSmiley Embarassed>>

Were these quirks always there before it first died?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Xairen
    Xairen Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

No and yes.

The Acer Ring and its softwares used to work just fine. Now, the Social Jogger (only one I've seen not working) says 1366×768 resolution isn't supported.

The haywire bottom touchscreen happened intermittently before.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,582 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>Performed Windows 10 updates.>>>Bottom touchscreen doesn't work at all even after re-installing drivers. Laptop is pretty much useless at this point.>>>

>>>The haywire bottom touchscreen happened intermittently before.>>>

My best guess. Dirty connectors or partial (maybe complete now) breaks in conductor traces of the flex ribbons and/or wires to the bottom screen. You might wanna try to re-seat them a few times to try to clean their connector pins and receptacles to see if that resolves the issue. Google "iconia 6120" "disassembly" with the quotes for a youtube demo. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ