Acer Ferarri 1000 screen cable replacement

FreemoX
FreemoX Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello.

Sorry if this post is in the wrong category, was unsure and placed it in this because it's a Ferarri laptop.

I'm repairing a Acer Ferarri 1000 zh3 laptop for a client, and it was discovered that the internal screen cable (Part No. 50.FR6V7.003) is worn out and needs replacement. 

The cable is currently in a shape that does not allow the computer to be used except along a 2nd monitor connected. Otherwise it works as it should.

I've been searching through my suppliers for parts, Acer included, but I always ended up not finding a compatible part as far as I know of, or a part of questionable quality (Ebay mainly).

Does anyone know where I can grab a hold of a replacement part that will ship to Norway?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer

Amazon including Euro has them listed. Should have international shipping but may be price-y. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• FreemoX

Really?

Thank you for your reply, but I can't seem to find it. I've searched Amazon before, and as usual, I only find RAM, harddrives, power cords and a inverter board, along with a few other parts that I don't need.

It may be that my search criteria is wrong, but I would think searching for the part number, part name and model of the computer should suffice.

• JackE

Sorry. I'm also having trouble finding the ribbon cable today for some reason. I don't seem to recall the search criteria I used to find the Amazon US & Euro offerings yesterday. Sorry I didn't copy the links. I had more luck today with the other part number DD0ZH3LC001. For example---

http://www.3cwire.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=29202

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• FreemoX

Yeah, I found that one as well, but paying 41 USD for a internal LCD cable is out of the question. 

I was hired to repair a malfunctioning fan, and gave an estimate price of 10 USD for the repairs. Upon further inspection I found that the fan connector hadd melted, thus causing the problem. But my suspicion is that the extreme heat is what caused the internal LCD cable to gradually malfunction to the point it no longer was working by the time I received the laptop. 

I'd rather not come back to him with a repair cost 5x the estimate I gave my client Smiley Frustrated

• JackE

>>> extreme heat is what caused the internal LCD cable to gradually malfunction to the point it no longer was working by the time I received the laptop. >>>

I usually find cracks in the ribbon conductor traces in the hinge area from the wear & tear of simply opening/closing the screen lid over the years. Since replacement 1000 series video ribbons seem so hard to find/costly, I might be tempted look for cracks in the ribbon where it meanders thru the hinge. If any are found, you might try to carefully scrape off the conformal coating and bridge the gap with pencil lead or silver paste. These "farmers fixes" sometime work. Jack E/NJ      

Jack E/NJ

• FreemoX

Hmm... Not a bad suggestion. I checked the wire in the hinge though, and it seemed fine at the time. I might however have been so focused on the heat damage that I didn't focus enough on the wire in the hinges though. Won't say for sure, but I'll doubble check the wire at the hinges to confirm/eliminate this. 

I'm on vacation at the moment, so verifying right now isn't something I can do.

I'll leave this thread open until I've verified that the wire at the hinges were the cause of the malfunction, or I/someone discover the part I need for a reasonable price.

Thank you for your replies, JackE! I'll come back to this thread when I'm back from my vacation.