Acer F5-572G and SSD, is it possible?

LastPhoenix
LastPhoenix Member Posts: 6 New User

Hello,

I was wondering if it's possible to add an SSD to this notebook. And if it's posssible will I have to replace current HDD or is there a possibility to add another HDD?

Best Answer

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,049 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hello,

This model is equipped with two SATA ports: One for HDD and one for ODD. You can replace the original HDD by a SSD (7mm) and insert the HDD in the ODD bay using a caddy. Don't forget to create the factory recovery media before to do anything.

France

Answers

• laurent_14
    Answer ✓

Hello,

This model is equipped with two SATA ports: One for HDD and one for ODD. You can replace the original HDD by a SSD (7mm) and insert the HDD in the ODD bay using a caddy. Don't forget to create the factory recovery media before to do anything.

France
  • LastPhoenix

Thank you for replying!

What is a ODD bay? And where could I get caddy?

Can I leave original HDD it its original place and add SSD in ODD bay instead?

P.S this is the full model name, just in case "F5-572G NX.GAHEL.002"

• laurent_14
    • ODD bay= DVD drive housing
    • About the caddy, may be here. I'll give you more information asap.
    • Can I leave original HDD it its original place and add SSD in ODD bay instead?
      Normally we replace the original HDD by a SSD and insert this one in the ODD bay.
    France
  • LastPhoenix
    • I kind of thought so, but thank you for verifying
    • This seems to be for model "F5-571G", but I suppose it doesn't make much of a difference, since DVD drives are more or less the same.
    • That is probably for the best! Smiley Happy
  • laurent_14

Here is a compatible HDD caddy (same specifications than yours)

France
  • LastPhoenix

Thank you.

So just to be sure - I need to purchase a SSD (7mm), is there something special to note regarding connection (mSATA, SATAIII). I'm a bit confused regarding the 7mm (is it form factor?)

• laurent_14

Hello,

You'll only need a cased SSD SATA 7mm (height). I give you few models according your budget:

Reminder: Don't forget to create the factory recovery media before to do anything.

France
  • LastPhoenix

You've been a tremendous help, thank you!

What would factory recovery media be? I really don't have anything important on this PC, I was thinking of just doing a format of drives and a fresh install.

• laurent_14

Hello,

You should watch this video. You wrote: "...A fresh install." From what?

France
  • LastPhoenix

Thank you for the video.

My plan was to format the current drive, move it to ODD bay, then add an SSD and install windows on new drive.

• laurent_14

Hello,

My advise:

1. Remove the current HDD and stock it carefully
    2. Install the new SSD
    3. Install OS/drivers/apps from the Acer factory recovery media
    4. Work like this for few days
    5. If all is good, then you'll be able to format the original HDD since you own the Acer factory recovery media. Very important if your laptop is still under warranty: If you have a big issue, you'll have to return it with the orignal HDD.
    France
  • daco16
    daco16 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,

for this model F5-572G which is still under warranty, I want to replace the current HDD with a SSD and I want to insert the current HDD in the ODD bay using a caddy and also to upgrade the memory from 4GB to 8GB. I red all related topics and I can't create the factory recovery media because my OEM does not have the software Acer recovery management because after I bought the device I changed the original LINUX OEM with WINDOWS 10 PRO 64. Please be so kind and offer me the right solution.

Thanks.