Acer Extensa 5220 Charging port

Cianc990
Cianc990 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi the charging port on my extensa 5220-101G08MI is broken. I am not sure how it is broken but i have replace both the battery and the charger so the only explanation is that the port itself is the issue. It will charge a little if i hold the charger pointing to the left for some reason but not when it is at any other angle. I'm just wondering if anyone could tell me the exact model for the port that i would need to buy and also if there is a detailed tutorial or video on how to replace it.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

It's probably best for you to google the terms "extensa 5220" "disassembly" "youtube" with the quotes for general instructions on accessing the jack. From your description, It's likely that it doesn't need to be replaced but its prongs that make contact the charger plug terminals need to be adjusted/bent to re-establish a firm contact. Jack E/NJ     

Jack E/NJ

• Cianc990
    How would I do that ? I don't think I have anything small enough to get in behind it to bend it out a bit
  • JackE

I had to take the bottom cover off to access the jack on the mainboard. Then used a needle bent at the tip to snare the prong. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Cianc990
    I took it apart completely and tried it but didn't have much luck with it. Before it would be like it connects and disconnects so it barely charges bit now it's staying on charge while the cord is pointing left. I have ordered a new one to replace it but it'll be a week or two before it arrives. Bit random but the panel above the keyboard that you take off, when I put it back on its kind of bulging near the power button. I have taken it off to see what might need keeping it up but I can't see anything that would be causing it
  • JackE

>>>bulging near the power button. I have taken it off to see what might need keeping it up but I can't see anything that would be causing it >>>

It's probably plastic catches that are not engaging to keep the top & bottom together. One of mine broke off on the top cover when I was pulling them apart. Electrician tape fixed that. 8^) Jack E/NJ     

Jack E/NJ

• Cianc990
    Nevermind it's the wire from the screen. It was catching on the plastic latch. I can't seem to move it out of the way though ????
  • JackE

>>>Nevermind it's the wire from the screen. It was catching on the plastic latch. I can't seem to move it out of the way though.>>>

Yeah, those video ribbons are pretty tight threading thru the hinge areas. They're also prone to infamous "black screen" problems due to cracked conductor traces from opening/closing screen lids too much. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ