Acer ES1-512 Back up and recovery does not work

Options
roadwarrior796
roadwarrior796 Member Posts: 273 Practitioner WiFi Icon

A friend of mine just bought a new Acer, above model, as he is not au fait with computers, he asked me to set it up for him, have been buying Acer's for years and setting them up for others so, no problem, I thought !

After setting it up I thought I'd burn his recovery software to a flash drive, went through the procedure, nothing, computer just sat there...... went through it again, same thing, nothing.

Tried a different method, tried to copy the recovery partition, went through the procedure, wizzard said some files were missing, directed me to Acer's website to download the patch, however, there was no patch there.

Contacted Acer and explained the situation was directed to the procedure which I had already pointed out to Acer, did not work, contacted Acer again, explained, again at length and asked for the rescue discs to be sent out because their software did not work, received a reply to say they could send the discs, at a cost of £51, astonishing !

So, to recap, my friend bought a new Acer laptop two days ago, the software for creating back up media does not work and Acer wish to charge £51 for supplying a copy of the software which, technically, my friend has already paid for.

I will be wiping his laptop tomorrow and it will be returned to the vendor, needless to say, the laptop which he decides on as a replacement, will not be an Acer, amazing !!!!

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

have you tried to use the default windows recovery software?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive

Acer erecovery software uses the default windows recovery software to create Acer erecovery media.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • roadwarrior796
    Options

Yes, interestingly the recovery box, when you go through the procedure, is greyed out which would indicate that there is no recovery partition. What shocked me though was that Acer would have the temerity to ask for payment given that their own software, does not work, incredible ! However, it's no problem I will wipe it and recommend that he buys something else, another customer lost to Acer, two if you count me !!!

• roadwarrior796
    Options

Further update, not even possible to do a clean reinstall as there is no recovery image on the drive, incredible for a brand new device !

• IronFly
    Options

can you create a bootable media with partition wizard?

http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html
    download the .iso file
    then use a software to burn CD/DVD and burn the .iso file
    once done, put the CD/DVD on your desktop, boot from CD (maybe you need to boot under Legacy)

then take a screenshot or a picture of HDD partitions, i'm curious to check which kind of partitions are available on this HDD.

• roadwarrior796
    Options

Hi,

Thanks for your input but it's packed up to be returned, the fact that there is no recovery partition and the device kept freezing makes me wonder if the device has been used by someone else and returned but, given that it's only a couple of days old, I wasn't prepared to spend any more time on it. Have advised my mate to buy somethhing else, but not an Acer !

Thanks again

• IronFly
    Options

You welcome.