Acer E5-511 Black Screen

Options
Sofia101
Sofia101 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited October 2023 in 2019 Archives

My Acer E5-511 shows a completely black screen when turning on. The fan starts working and the power light comes on.

It started after my laptop froze and I had to power down manually. 

I've tried connecting the laptop to a TV screen but nothing came up. I've tried taking out the battery and holding down the power button but it didn't work. I've tried holding down the F2, F9 and F10 button followed by enter. I've tried holding down Ctrl-Alt-Del and then powering down, none of this worked. 

I've read that I might need to update the BIOS. I changed a USB to a FAT format, downloaded the BIOS file from the acer website, upzipped the folder from the downloads, but on the instructions it said I should have a .exe file which I then need to change to a 7.zip, but that option isn't available? 

Also I read another few instructions saying that I need to check the RAM first? 

What can I do? Is it possible to fix without loosing all my files on the Acer? Please help!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,481 Trailblazer
    Options

Press & hold the power button for 5 seconds or till the machine completely shuts off. Then press the power button one time to restart the machine. Immediately start repeatedly tapping the F2 key after pressing the power button. Does the BIOS menu come up? If not, shut down the machine again as above. Restart the machine again. Do you hear any BIOS beep codes immediately after starting such as one long beep followed by 2 short beeps or something similar? Jack E/NJ 

PS Also make sure you try to turn the screens on with either the Fn+F5 and Fn+F6 toggle key combos 

Jack E/NJ

• lynsay76
    lynsay76 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    hi sofia101 did you manage to sort your problem out as i have the same