Acer E-15: Cannot boot from USB (UEFI)

Options
Oolmark
Oolmark Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello, I'm having getting my USB stick recognized as a bootable device (installing windows 7 onto a system that came with windows 8.1 pre-installed, no optical drive)

System: Acer E 15 (E5-571), BIOS V1.15 (UEFI)

What I've tried:
-Disabled Secure Boot

-Created bootable USB stick with Windows 7 iso, via 'Microsoft USB/DVD Download Tool' (on alternate Windows 7 system)

-Created bootable USB stick with Windows 7 iso, via 'Rufus' (on alternate Windows 7 system)

-Windows 8.1 Advanced Restart -> Boot from UEFI USB Device (No UEFI device recognized) 

What worked:
-Enabling 'Legacy Boot Mode': USB stick was recognized upon boot and loaded Windows Installation.  HOWEVER, Windows 7 won't instal to a GPT formatted drive under Legacy Boot Mode.  I've read booting in UEFI mode is the only way to get Windows 7 to install onto GPT.

What I don't want to do:
-Format the drive, change drive mode to MBR to instal Windows 7.  Why?  Because then I'd loose the factory installation of Windows 8.1

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

if your windows 8.1 OS is still able to boot, why don't you create the recovery media, using Acer erecovery?

so even if you wipe completly your HDD and change GPT to MBR (it's a reversible change), you will be able to re-install as factory default.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Oolmark
    Oolmark Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I would like to keep GPT as the drive type, but thank you for your response.