Acer AspireV3 771G-6814 Memory Upgrade Issues

Options
FrustratedOwner
FrustratedOwner Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hello,

I'm looking for some assistance with this one, because I'm at my wits end. 

Since I'm a gamer and use my computer rather frequently, I was looking to upgrade the amount of memory in my PC. 

The motherboard on my laptop has 4 different memory slots, and I was told that the maximum that it would support would be 16 Gb.

I went to NewEgg.com and purchased 4 sticks of G.Skill Ripjaws PC3L-12800 4GX2 (DDR3L-1600) 1.35V SO-DIMM to place into the machine.

After placing all 4 sticks into the different memory slots, the machine would refuse to start. The only way that the machine starts is if I use one slot on the left, and one slot on the right. The combination doesn't make a difference, but when I try and place a third stick in any slots, it will refuse to boot up. 

All of the memory sticks are the same. I have no idea why this won't work. Initially I assumed that this was due to the machine only supporting sticks at 1.5V, yet it works perfectly fine with two of the sticks, which are 1.35V. I've tried all different combinations, as well as each slot independently. Each slot, when used independently with no other sticks, works just fine. 

I'd REALLY rather not try and send this in to Acer, since not only is my machine barely out of warranty, but I use it for work, and couldn't be without it for a month and a half while this gets resolved.

Help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

~ Frustrated Acer Owner

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

From an old post:

Re: Aspire V3-771G RAM maximum[ New ]

‎06-07-2014 02:57 AM

Before racing out to buy additional RAM for your V3-771, be aware of the following:

i.  The V3-771 only supports a maximum of 8Gb RAM if the processor is a dual core model.  If you have a dual core processor in your V3-771, installing additional RAM over and above 8Gb will either result in the notebook no longer booting, or the system booting with only 8Gb RAM available to the operating system.  Quad core V3-771 units can support more than 8Gb.

ii.  If your system is running a 32bit version of Windows, no matter how much RAM is installed, 4Gb is the maximum amount which can be utilized.  Installing a 64bit version of Windows will overcome this limitation, but be aware that Windows 7 Home Basic 64bit supports a maximum of 8Gb of RAM and Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit a maximum of 16Gb.

iii.  When installing additional RAM alongside the Acer-supplied RAM, use DDR3 PC1600 RAM to ensure that the newly installed RAM happily co-exists with the RAM you already have.  Installing PC1866 or PC2100 RAM alongside the existing RAM may result in your machine not booting, system instability or other undesirable behaviours.