Acer Aspire V5-552G limited connection problem

deonm1988
deonm1988 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I have problem with internet connection. Every 10 minutes or more connection is down and my wi fi network gets limited connection icon.

I bought this laptop few months ago with Winwows 8.1. and latest drivers are installed.
Can anyone help me? I tried a lot of things but there is no result

Answers

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

1. Have you tried resetting or adjusting the settings on your wireless router?

2. What brand and model router do you have?

3. What version wireless driver do you have installed?

4. Have you tried the computer on other networks to see if it behaves the same way?

• deonm1988

I didn't try resetting or adjusting on my router because on the other devices everything works fine. I got this router from my NSP (jetSpeed IAD-Wp3). Version of my wirelesss driver is 10.0.0.263. I tried the computer on the other networks and I had the same problem.

Thank you,

Dean

• Clyde
    Clyde Member, Knowledge Author Posts: 420 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
  • deonm1988

I tried this but I still have the same problem. Thanks man

• Hammer34
    Hammer34 Member Posts: 2 New User

Having the exact same issue . . . super annoying to have notebook internet connection "wink" in and out repeatedly when all other devices on the network work fine and WIFI signal is fine.  Otherwise I've been very happy with this notebook which makes it all more annoying.  Here are my specifics:

ACER Aspire M notebook has Windows 8.1 and a Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 Wireless Network Adapter.  According to Windows, my wireless adapter is working properly and has the latest driver installed.  My home wireless router and signal seem fine, no problem with other devices (smartphone, work laptop, smart TV, etc.), and I do deactivate and reactivate my router on a fairly regular basis to “refresh” the connection.  Problem: notebook connects to the network with no problem, it’s just that the connection is lost or temporarily interrupted on a fairly consistent basis.  I’ll see the little yellow “limited connectivity” exclamation point flash on my wireless icon and I either have to refresh the page I’m on repeatedly or manually disconnect and reconnect to my network to restore the internet connection.  At times it’s sporadic and infrequent, at other times it is nearly constant and I’m having to reset the connection with virtually every page when surfing the net.  Again, don’t experience this issue with other devices at the same time, in the same room, etc.  Also, I’ve had the same issue when using the notebook on other people’s WIFI networks, connects no problem but spotty, sporadically loses connection.

So is there some adapter setting I can adjust to fix this?  Do I just have a crappy adapter?   Something else?  Appreciate any help or insight.  Thanks!

• deonm1988

I found a solution. The whole issue was caused by Windows 8 and 8.1 drivers, they are the main problem. I installed Windows 7 and everything works perfect. Finally, there is no more limited connection Smiley Very Happy

• Hammer34
    Hammer34 Member Posts: 2 New User

I actually found a pretty easy solution on another forum: for me it was simply the power usage options.  The default/recommended setting is "balanced" which apparently just doesn't allocate enough power consistently to the wifi antenna causing it to intermittently lose the connection.  Ever since switching to the the "high performance" power option I haven't had a single issue with my connectivity.  And I don't even find a noticeable difference in my battery life.

So for others experiencing this issue I would try that simple step first before doing anything major.

• emilydcarson
    emilydcarson Member Posts: 1 New User
    Do you mean you installed Windows 7 drivers? Which ones, and do you have a link to them, or did you find them already on your hard drive? Thanks much.